Menu

Arizona Psychiatrist hostile to homeschooling.

I don't post much on the Special Needs board (don't see many posts about bipolar disorder) but I'd like to save others from my experience.

Our previous child psychiatrist, Kenneth Zwier, coached us through the decision to homeschool, thought it was very effective with bipolar children, and affirmed our choice. We were with him for 3+ years until he stopped taking insurance, and so a few months ago we switched.

At the children's last appt., the new psychiatrist, DR. RAMIRO GUILLEN in Scottsdale, Arizona, stated "Homeschooled children do not do well in college. They do not know how to deal with difficult people. They are not successful in life." Now, I am never offended by contrary opinions politely expressed. But HE SAID IT IN FRONT OF BOTH OF MY CHILDREN.

My bipolar son has been obsessing over this statement, as those of you who are parents of bipolar children might imagine.

My husband left messages twice over two weeks, hoping that if he talked to the doctor there might be some way to smooth it out. Today, on his third try, the receptionist said that DR. GUILLEN will not return calls that are not medical-related. And the frosting on this cake is that they are charging us $25 per child to transfer our records.

We are filing our complaint with the Arizona Medical Board. Please share this with your homeschool friends in the valley. I'm not sure this can ever be undone in the minds of my children.

That is horrible! How totally unprofessional. I would try approaching the new psychiatrist with your situation and ask if they can work with the other clinic to transfer the records for free. It's likely that they all know each other from conferences and such, and it might put some pressure on Dr. Guillen's office to step up.

That is horrible! How totally unprofessional. I would try approaching the new psychiatrist with your situation and ask if they can work with the other clinic to transfer the records for free. It's likely that they all know each other from conferences and such, and it might put some pressure on Dr. Guillen's office to step up.

Thank you! That is a great idea.

• 1 month later...

I know this thread is a few weeks old, but I just stumbled onto it while searching for something else. I'm wondering if you've found someone new yet?

What you described is HORRIBLE. :001_huh:

You may already have the transfer of records issue resolved by now, but I was going to second the suggestion to have your new doc request the records directly from the old doc. I once learned that some doctors will charge a fee for the records if YOU request them because they don't know what you're going to do with them (i.e., file a lawsuit). This is one way they discourage the parent from getting ahold of them themselves and then doing whatever they want with them. It's a control tactic. However, if your lawyer or new doctor requests the records, they will transfer them without a fee. (Actually, they may still charge a photocopy fee even if they're requested by a lawyer. Of course the lawyer then passes that expense off to you.... )