Menu

Artistic Pursuits in a co-op?

vlshort

I'm looking at Artistic Pursuits for our co-op next year. We have K-12th, so we could use various levels. For those of you that have used this, could it be done in 1 hour per week?

Also, does each student need their own book?

Thanks!

vanessa

I am using Artistic Pursuits Junior High with my 7th grader. We love it! I think that this could definitely be used for a coop. You certainly could just buy one book and copy the pages for each student. They would have to each have their own supplies. Sketch pad, different pencils etc.... they have a list of supplies at the beginning of the book. Each unit is split up into four sections. My daughter does 2 sections a week about 1/2 hr - 1 hr. each day (twice a week). The Junior High level has a book for 7th grade and another for 8th grade. They are designed to be completed in 32 weeks. Hope this helps!:)

~KRISTEN~

PS. I wanted to add that their are books for grades K-3, 4-6, Junior High, and Senior High.

http://www.artisticpursuits.com/

Another helpful hint that I wanted to add, if you are going to purchase the supplies here is a website that you can get them a whole lot cheaper for:

http://www.dickblick.com/bundles/bundle.asp?id=802

Edited by mom2denj

I teach Artistic Pursuits K-3 book 1 in co-op every other week. The kids love it! I have one hour for Art class, and usually I can be done in that hour. Sometimes, if the lesson is incorporating a famous artist, I spread it out over two weeks to give the kids a better idea of the artist and his works. Our co-op buys all the supplies we need. The list in the front of the book is comprehensive. I teach four kids. I bought each one a "super hero" pencil (Ebony pencil) and this year I will buy an art portfolio to keep all their work contained. I keep it till the end of the year and we then have an "Art Gallery" of their works for the parents to see. With only four kids I haven't needed supplies for each. I could have used two sets of watercolor crayons, but it wasn't necessary. I did need multiple sets of oil pastels because a couple lessons needed only black. Make sure you get plenty of watercolor paper. It is used the most often. The first section of the AP K-3 book is mostly drawing/painting. We made it through the first section only the first year. The second section gets more into ancient art and then mixes up the mediums a little bit.

The first year I used the book, here was our schedule. I would read the lesson and then do the print study/questions. If it was an artist that I could find other examples of their work, then we would take a few minutes looking over other art pieces on the laptop. This exposed them to different styles. If the print in the lessons was something specific...like still art...I would look up some examples and show them that. After that, we would do the art scheduled in the lesson. It was hard for the kids at first to get the idea of doing what the book said, but they soon became accustomed to it and their art really improved! I took a couple class lessons to read some of the cool art books (like "Degas and the Little Dancer") and we also took a lesson to do an artist re-creation. They had to paint Van Gogh's "Starry Night." Near the end of the year, we scheduled a field trip to the local Art Museum (it was free), we thought they'd be done in an hour, but at 2.5 hours, 2 of the 4 were still wanting to keep going :) We have a co-op banquet at the end of the year. I saved all their projects and we hung them on the wall for their own special Art Gallery. The kids loved showing off their work and the parents were able to see the progress. It was a lot of fun.

I am still amazed, almost two years later, by how much I and the kids enjoy this! I think it will be a great addition to your co-op!

I've completed 2/3 of this book with 2nd and 3rd graders so far this year. I am having success and appreciate how it went along with our SOTW2 history chapters. I didn't get a brayer and regret it now. Very important to have a brayer to complete many projects without frustration. Have FUN! I also used the prints from Ambleside Online Yahoo group in order to present more information.