Menu

Has anyone used the Beginning Grammar Readers by Wanda Sanseri

Dawn E

I have them! I think if they are worthwhile depends on your reason for wanting them. :) If you want them for a beginning reader, skip it! You can make your own out of words from the word lists on your own and have your child illustrate them just as easily. If you want them to diagram easy sentences, well, they might be worthwhile then. I wanted to use them as a beginning reader and they are simply not worth it. The have one small sentence per page, with no picture - just a space for the child to draw, and space to diagram the sentence. Just my 2 cents!

I had thought that early diagramming might be interesting, but was a little concerned by their look. Nonetheless, if you want to sell them, send me a PM what you'd like for them.

I am going to try starting SWR next year, though I am a little intimidated by it. :001_smile: When you were researching grammar options, did you look at Shurley? I am currently doing GWG, but am looking at both Shurley and R&S for down the road. I was just curious about your thoughts.

Thanks again,

Dawn

Don't be too intimidated by SWR. :) If there is any way for you to get to a class, they are extremely helpful. I had used SWR for a year before I attended a class and it still really put things together for me. Now that I know what I'm doing, SWR is an open and go program. I do need to "teach" it, it isn't something the kids do independently, but it is worth every minute we have spent on it. I've learned how to spell, that's saying a lot! LOL!

I didn't look at Shurley Grammar. I am doing GWG also, but am switching next year to R&S. I like the look of the teacher's book with R&S, it has oral parts, more instruction than GWG. I'm also very impressed by the reviews of R&S. In the recent thread on "what programs will you keep using for multiple years" (or something like that, I can't remember exactly!) the one thing that was repeated over and over and over was R&S grammar. I'm convinced that this is the best grammar out there and that we will be using it for the long haul. :) I would like to sell my Beginning Grammar Readers, so I'll PM you!