Menu

Help me make TOG work - the WTM way!

vlshort

We are in TOG 2 (it's our second year with TOG). This year I moved DS12 up to dialectic. My difficulty is in the Core reading. The Story of Europe goes on and on and on - I'm enjoying it - but my ds can't seem to get an overview feel of what's going on. He's lost in the details. What does that king have to do with this king and that pope and that viking, etc, etc. We could use a spine that gives us something like a 2 page spread, and then we can dig into the details. We need something to help us put all of these great stories into context. Can you help?

TIA,

Vanessa

I would suggest starting small in order to get an overview. Look at the lower grammar encyclopedia info. Read it. Make a rough outline and then read more in-depth on the subject. After reading the Story of Europe, maybe then your dialectic student would be able to pull out the important points through narration activities.

I would choose b/t 2 things:

To continue in the Story of Europe, you can have him outline a 2-page spread. Then have him summarize (1 paragraph = 1 section of outlining). This will def. bring in the WTM for outlining and notetaking. You can make sure you have him outline the pages that will include the questions you choose to focus on during discussion.

The other option might be to use the Kingfisher and have him match up the spread there and read the core or supplement out loud.

Finally, you can also have him outline any teacher's notes. Since they are encyclopedia exerts, this may help for both discussion and study skill.

HTH,

We are in TOG 2 (it's our second year with TOG). This year I moved DS12 up to dialectic. My difficulty is in the Core reading. The Story of Europe goes on and on and on - I'm enjoying it - but my ds can't seem to get an overview feel of what's going on. He's lost in the details. What does that king have to do with this king and that pope and that viking, etc, etc. We could use a spine that gives us something like a 2 page spread, and then we can dig into the details. We need something to help us put all of these great stories into context. Can you help?

TIA,

Vanessa

Vanessa,

I think the complicating factor here is that you are doing year 2, which moves so quickly, and has such a heavy schedule. If I were in your shoes I would probably do UG this year, and start D next year with year 3 when the schedule is lighter.

Heather