Menu

Crochet question - calculating "evenly-spaced" edging...

Okay, I'm an experience crocheter, but this is something that has ALWAYS bugged me! I can't stand when you get to to the edging, and the instructions indicate you need to "evenly space" x number of stitches along the sides...why can't they just say, "so and so number of stitches per row"?

I am working on a project that has 98 rows of double crochet. They are asking for 167 single-crochet stitches "evenly-spaced" along the long edge (perpendicular to the rows, of course). How do you determine how many to put into each row? I obviously can't do two per row, as the calculation comes out to 1.7 per row. Is there an easy way to determine how many per row? Like 1, 2, 1, 2, etc...???

Arghhh...how am I EVER going to teach math to my twirling girlies if I can't figure THIS out?! :(

Edited by BikeBookBread

I simul-posted over on Ravelry and got an obvious, SLAM MY HAND INTO MY FOREHEAD answer:

Fold in half and mark; fold to quarter and mark; again if I can and mark. Divide by how many folds, and figure it out from there.

WHY DIDN'T I THINK OF THIS!?

Hope this helps someone else.

Here's link to the discussion on Ravelry boards.