Menu

DD coming home for 10th grade

Guest Lynnh

This is my first post, but I have been reading these boards for months. This is my first year homeschooling my ds who is in 5th grade and we have had a great year. Now my DD who has always been in ps says she is pretty sure she wants to be homeschooled next year. I have been pouring over curriculum choices and I have to say it is so overwhelming to pick things for hs. This is what she has taken as a 9th grader: Honors English(mostly British Lit with very little composition), Advanced World Studies (World History), Advanced Biology, Algebra 1, and French 1 plus a few electives. So here are my questions:

She needs to do US History and I was going to combine it with American Lit. I know about Notgrass and am considering doing that and then beefing up the Lit portion with Progeny Press guides. However I really like the looks of Smarr American Literature. Is there another US history you would recommend if I choose to do Smarr for English?

I feel she would need some Grammar since I am not convinced her Grammar instruction has been very good. Is Analytical Grammar the best for that?

I am leaning towards Videotext Geometry for Math and Spectrum Chemistry for Chemistry. She has no interest in this point in going into a Science field.

Her current French teacher has agreed to tutor her 1x a week if she comes home so I think we will be ok with that.

She is classified as gifted by the ps, but the ps has killed her love of learning. She used to love to read now she hates it. She has suffered from a lack of motivation this year also. I have told her that will have to change if she comes home. She says it will, but I am not convinced. I know there is no magic curriculum that will make school fun again, but would like to do my best to find interesting things for her. I am open to any suggestions you have.

Hi Lynn,

So you've got ideas for history, math, lit/grammar, science, and French.

If you want to help reignite her interest in learning, why not find a 6th course, an elective of some type, that really interests her. If you can't find a "curriculum" for that, maybe you can put something together, or better yet, let her put something together.

My oldest (current college freshman) plodded through his school work and did well academically, but what really meant the most to him during his high school years was all the time he spent building things, networking computers, working in a part-time job, volunteering, etc. that wasn't part of official 'school'.

I think one of the biggest benefits in hsing high school is that you can make the time for your teen to explore his/her interests. Look at what she likes to do in her spare time and try to capitalize on that.

HTH,

Brenda