Menu

Transcripts: electives or just "extra"

Guest getsmart

Guest getsmart

I'm trying to fill in my son's transcript and I am really stuck.

My son spent a lot of time on these particular subjects. But now that I'm going to make his transcript for college application I wonder if I should count these as classes or if it is better to avoid mentioning on a transcript since one not academic and the other 2 are for "catching up to where he should be if he was not a struggling learner".

Driver's Ed : (a class he actually liked and I thought here's one where he'd have an A to help GPA - but maybe colleges would not want this counted as a class or added to GPA?)

Standardized Test Prep : knowing those tests would be more important than my grades on classes we did lots of practice. (at least 60 hrs) But kids at PS (to my knowledge) take these kinds of seminars outside of school hours and thus do not get credit. Would listing this kind of class draw negative attention "oh this kid needed intensive help to take this long of a class - oh and he only get 25 on ACT - with this much time he should have gotten 35!" If I list it would it be better to count it as Half a semester vs. a semester?

Learning Rx : I'm not sure what title I should call this class if we count it. It was over 162 hours but this is the type of class you take through a business where they test you and then they work on all these exercises to help you improve reading and thinking, etc. He did this in 9th grade. It's not academic content - you take it to help you do better in your academics. But that may be a negative to a college since you wouldn't be taking it if you were at the right level for your grade, ie. they may not view it as a "high school" class? If I count it would it need to be Pass/Fail?

And then if I don't count any of those I wonder if his "plate" will look too light since those last 2 in particular were a big focus for us.

Thanks for any insight!