Menu

Should this kiddo do 2 math programs??

diaperjoys

Here's the scoop. My oldest is a strong reader, but math doesn't come particularly easily. In Kindergarten we used MUS. He did the primer, but we found the review insufficient for him. (For example, he had a really hard time understanding place value, which came ~ lesson 9 or so. We worked hard at it, eventually made headway, and went on. Then came a long series of lessons that didn't address place value at all, and when the concept came up again at the end of the book, he had forgotten it all, which was a disappointment because we had poured so much effort into it.)

So, for 1st grade we've been doing BJU, and that has been better, but still not a grand fit. They never leave a topic completely, and that really helps, but understanding of new concepts is still coming slowly. A couple months ago I decided to layer in Math Mammoth (in addition to BJU). Wow! What a difference! Lights are coming on, and he really "gets" the concepts. Much, much better. He's just been doing one page a day, front and back. It takes him a good while sometimes, but he understands, and doesn't seem to mind wading through it.

So...thinking of next year. MM has to stay. That much is clear. But, I'm afraid that MM alone won't be spiral enough for him. I was going to do CLE along with it because of the steady gentle spiral & constant review. But is that overkill?? I'd like this fellow to have loads of time for reading the stacks of books he so much wants to do. On the other hand, both his Papa & his Grandfather are really weak in basic math (yet brilliantly grasp these wildly difficult abstract philosophical or theological concepts...go figure). So I want to be sure the foundation is solid.

So...for next year, just MM or MM + CLE??????

What would you do?

I would. I do both spiral (MEP, our main program) and mastery (First Lessons in Arithmetic, free via Google books, similar to Ray's) programs, even though DS7 is good at math. I will do the same with my coming 1st grader. I'm not familiar with the programs you mentioned, but can you do each lightly? Perhaps you can decide on a time limit so that you don't over-teach. Some books/lessons include a LOT of problems, I have no problem telling DS to do column A & B, skipping column C.

Make math fun - you might check out Living Math for book ideas and activities. We played War with cards - teaching greater than and less than and my older boys LOVED it. Next I'm going to mix 2 decks and we'll play War addition-style.