Menu

placement tests for Singapore

ProudGrandma

I am giving my kids the placement tests today, just to see where they might fall in the curriculum...but they are stmbling over the lingo...they might understand the concept, but not in the way that it is presented...is it fair for me to help them or will that influence the outcome of the tests in a bad way?

it depends. if you feel giving them a VERY small nudge in the right direction would mean they would totally understand the whole set of questions, I would go ahead (that's just me). My son was in sort of the same situation--got 85% and placed into 3A, but because I wanted to be sure he understood the "singapore approach" (and he stumbled a couple of times in the test) I put him in 2B to quickly review.

it depends. if you feel giving them a VERY small nudge in the right direction would mean they would totally understand the whole set of questions, I would go ahead (that's just me). My son was in sort of the same situation--got 85% and placed into 3A, but because I wanted to be sure he understood the "singapore approach" (and he stumbled a couple of times in the test) I put him in 2B to quickly review.

did you find that going back to 2B too easy and thus boring...or was it different enough that it stayed interesting enough?

He finds 2B to be relatively easy. What this means is that, so far, very few of the concepts are new to him, but I find that doing an easy-ish book that allows him to learn the Singapore approach without simulataneously learning new and more difficult material is working. We are moving more quickly than we would be with 3B.

As he is coming off a bit of burnout, I think it's fine that he's finding math easy....for now ;)