Menu

Latin help, please

Ds has worked on a story for Latin. I'm still learning Latin and I've done all I can for his story. Could someone take a look, let me know what's wrong and why. He's picking this up much faster than I am, can I get a little help here?

Andre est un bonus nauta. Natuarum parvi filius et filia clamant. Multi barbari occupant nautarum parvi filius et filia. Pugnant. Mali barbari superant Andre. Portant filius et filia ex Italia. Andre navigat solus. Andre spectat Italia. Parat telum. Andre est auxillium. Andre pugnat contra multi barbari. Liberat filius et filia. Nautarum filius et filia sunt tuti.

His translation:

Andrew is a good sailor. The sailor's small son and daughter shout. Many barbarians seize the sailor's small son and daughter. They fight. Bad barbarians overcome Andrew. They carry the son and daughter out of Italy. Andrew sails alone. Andrew looks at Italy. He prepares a weapon. Andrew is help. Andrew fights against many barbarians. He frees his son and daughter (we don't know how to write "his"). The sailor's son and daughter are safe.

Be kind. He's young and I'm doing the best I can. All this from telling him to write a few sentences with the Latin he's learned so far.

Who wrote that text?

No complains about your son's translation, but the text itself is FILLED with mistakes. Can you please point to me where it's taken from, what book/curriculum?

EDIT: In case it's English to Latin translation made by your son, I understand - in that case I'll correct it, no problems; but if it's Latin to English and if those are their mistakes... too many to be typos.

EDIT2: Okay, got it now, he wrote the story and translated it into Latin? Sorry for my initial confusion, I'll correct Latin in a few minutes.

Edited by Ester Maria

There:

Andre est un bonus nauta.

Andre bonus nauta est.

- the indefinite article your son put here is typical transferring the element of English into Latin, and syntactically it would be better to organize words the way I just did

Natuarum parvi filius et filia clamant.

Nautam parvi filius et filia clamant.

- has to be accusative for nauta (they call HIM)

- actually from the point of view of "style" and what's natural for Latin you couldn't say such a sentence (while technically correct, not in the spirit of the language), but I won't correct it further, it's more than enough for a beginner

Multi barbari occupant nautarum parvi filius et filia. Pugnant.

Nautae parvum filium et parvam filiam multi barbari occupant. Pugnant.

- same as above, not in the spirit of the language, but for a literal translation it's good

- has to be genitive for nauta ("of him", his kids), and accusative for children

Mali barbari superant Andre.

Mali barbari Andrem superant

- Andre gets "m", accusative again

Portant filius et filia ex Italia.

Filium et filiam ex Italia portant.

- accusative for children

Andre navigat solus.

Good. Syntatically, Andre solus navigat would be better, but the sentence is correct. Bravo. :)

Andre spectat Italia.

Andre spectat Italiam.

- Italia has to be accusative (direct object)

Parat telum. Andre est auxillium.

:confused: I can't see the sense of this in either Latin or English, can you explain? Andrew is help, in what sense?

Andre pugnat contra multi barbari.

Andre contra multos barbaros pugnat.

- accusative again (direct object)

Liberat filius et filia.

Filium et filiam liberat.

- accusative ;)

Nautarum filius et filia sunt tuti.

Nautae filius et filia tuti sunt.

- genitive singular + syntax; I also wouldn't use "tuti", but okay.

Overall, lexically he's pretty good (the choice of words is generally okay); morphologically so-so (accusatives seem to be an issue?); syntactically not as much, but syntax is what you learn the last in any case, so no need to worry about it so much yet.

Cute story, btw. :)

He frees his son and daughter (we don't know how to write "his").

Actually, you don't even need it in there.

suus / sua / sum

In the context you provided it would be suum filium et suam filiam, but that's only if you want to emphasize it's his children, otherwise the sentence can go without it too.

He's in Latina Christiana 2, we're just finishing up section 3.

I think he wanted to say that Andre was coming to help, or ..... well..... something of that sort, but our vocabulary is not strong enough. As far as declining, that was my fault. I didn't even think to decline filius or filia (or have him fix it) and he hasn't really learned the accusative form yet. These were his best guesses, paired with his mother's inept fumbling.

I liked the story too. He had fun being a Roman super hero :lol:

He's in Latina Christiana 2, we're just finishing up section 3.

I think he wanted to say that Andre was coming to help, or ..... well..... something of that sort, but our vocabulary is not strong enough. As far as declining, that was my fault. I didn't even think to decline filius or filia (or have him fix it) and he hasn't really learned the accusative form yet. These were his best guesses, paired with his mother's inept fumbling.

I liked the story too. He had fun being a Roman super hero :lol:

Relax, he's 8 years old, he has plenty of time to learn those things. :) For an 8 year old he's great, he managed to write a whole story in a relatively new to him language.

My initial confusion was due to the fact I thought that he translated the Latin text into English, so I was puzzled - I was like, the translation is great, but the original not so much, then I thought you might be using some "alive Latin" programs which mix up syntax or disregard some of the morphology at the beginning, but I was still puzzled, only then I realized what was the case.

Regarding the cases, well, obviously, he can't know what he hasn't learned yet. Verbs are okay, and concording verbs with nouns in number is good; the morphology of nouns, pronouns and numerals will be an issue for a while more and it's normal. Syntax, at this point, is totally unimportant anyway, if he gets individual parts of the sentences correctly.

He'll learn, you'll both learn, keep up with the good job. :)