Menu

Stanford test...Do you prepare your dc? If so what do you use?

Definitely prepare her for the *format* of the test -- separate test booklet and answer sheet. Almost any bookstore or teacher supply store will have test prep or test practice books. (The practice ones are the way I would go for most kids.) Spectrum are pretty good.

Vocabulary, Comprehension, Spelling, Listening, Social Studies, Math, Language, Science, Study Skills

And does spectrum flow with the Stanford 10 test? I know there are a few test out there like the IOWA(think that's it) and the CAT.

Well, are you looking to prepare her for the content of the test, or the format -- so she's not worrying about *how* to take the test?

Most of the books out there will cover the material basically as it's presented on the major tests like ITBS and Stanford. Spectrum will prepare her for either one.

I have not a lot of Social Studies with my dc(4th and 6th grade) and that worries me. I don't think I can get everything covered from now May 21st.

They took the CAT test a couple of years ago, but getting the just of what is expected of them would be nice as well.

Well, the nice thing about ITBS and Stanford as opposed to various state tests (like CRCT), is that the social studies and science are *very* general. They don't expect you to have covered a specific curriculum of national or state history or specific science topics. The tests really are designed more for general knowledge.

We take the Stanford Achievement test through our local homeschool support group each year. I prepare the boys with the Scoring High series at Rainbow Resource. I found that this series prepares them for what to expect (instructions that will be read, type of questions asked, etc.) and gives them testing strategies. In addition, the workbook gives us practice in "bubbling" answers which we never do at home.

I think that the Stanford focuses more on reading and mathematics, and I agree with Abbeyej that the social studies and science questions are very general. My boys usually do okay in those areas, but some years are better than others depending on the questions asked. There were only 40 questions for each subtest on last year's Stanford for my oldest son (5th grade at the time). It's really just hit or miss with such a broad topic like science. However, my middle son scored the highest he's ever scored on any Stanford subtest in science last year. Go figure--I don't do anything extra to prepare for the test aside from the Scoring High prep materials.