Menu

MacBeth on DVD - which one to watch?

By far and away, the best production of MB on video is the 1971 Roman Polanski-directed production featuring Jon Finch and Francesca Annis.

Filmed, I believe, on location in Scotland, the film has the feel of being filmed in the 1050s -- it feels gritty, cold, genuine. The fault of most productions of MB is that they make the witches look ridiculous and Halloweeny, but here, they look ancient and pagan, more like the three Fates -- the actual meaning of "wyrd."

Warning: Some violence (beheading, hanging) and nudity (frontal, female). That said, however, I still highly recommend it.

Is unfortunately not available in the US. You can get it from Amazon.co.uk, but it's Region 2, so you'd need an adaptable DVD player (or play it on your computer... that sometimes works...) But it's Antony Sher as Macbeth, and Harriet Walter as Lady Macbeth... and it's gorgeous.

This sounds great! We do have an appropriate DVD player that we use for German and Japanese DVDs, so that's not a problem. I'll look into ordering a copy. Thank you for bringing this DVD to my attention.