Menu

WWE - Can you skip ahead? How?

irizarry4

Seeking advice from anyone with experience. I have a 10yo and we are going through FLL4 and WWE2. We LOVE FLL 4, and are thriving.

PS afforded ds no experience with copywork, narration or dictation. So I decided to start him on WWE2. We are still learning/struggling a bit how to synthesize information for the narrations. Picking out the main ideas out of passages is still a bit of a challenge, but there has been a lot of improvement there. The copywork and the dictation, however, have become quite easy. Ds is pretty good with the mechanics of writing. Okay speller, and has picked up quite a few capitalization and punctuation rules from his work on FLL4. So the Copywork and Dictation are not too challenging.

-- Should I do all of WWE2 anyway, so he gets more summarizing practice? I know the passages (both readings and dictations) become considerably longer as it progresses.

-- Should I skip a few weeks ahead every now and then, and then get him started on WWE3?

-- Should I just give him the week 36 evaluation now? Your thoughts? :bigear:

Are you using the workbook? I'm guessing you are. Either way I would say to go ahead and give him the evaluation now. No sense in spinning your wheels on WWE2 if he is ready to move on. If he isn't ready then I would fast forward to point that would be challenging. You can also continue to work on narration with other readings. I just started WWE2 (text) with my 2nd grader and I plan to skip weeks here and there so we can finish by the end of the year.

I'll offer another option. Go ahead and purchase the "guide" for all of WWE -- The Complete Writer; Writing With Ease; Strong Fundamentals. It offers 6-8 lessons per level as examples. Pick out where you are in WWE2 and go from there. The WWE guide will give you select, representative lessons from each level in order of increasing difficulty. You could finish the WWE2 level in a matter of a couple of weeks, then go on to the WWE3 level (all contained in one book). If he reaches a point where the material is too challenging, you could stop and order the WWE3 workbook, starting where he began to struggle. But if he bops along able to handle the increasing work, you just continue on to the WWE4 level.

As a 10yo with no learning challenges, I would expect you to be able to work through the entire sequence this school year.

I'll offer another option. Go ahead and purchase the "guide" for all of WWE -- The Complete Writer; Writing With Ease; Strong Fundamentals. It offers 6-8 lessons per level as examples. Pick out where you are in WWE2 and go from there. The WWE guide will give you select, representative lessons from each level in order of increasing difficulty. You could finish the WWE2 level in a matter of a couple of weeks, then go on to the WWE3 level (all contained in one book). If he reaches a point where the material is too challenging, you could stop and order the WWE3 workbook, starting where he began to struggle. But if he bops along able to handle the increasing work, you just continue on to the WWE4 level.

As a 10yo with no learning challenges, I would expect you to be able to work through the entire sequence this school year.

:iagree:

Good suggestion! That is actually what I did with WWE1, but I'm still not using the workbook on level 2. I think I will for level 3 though.

:001_smile:

Thank you for this suggestion. I own the WWE textbook you mention. I originally purchased it, with the intention of pulling together the readings, copywork, etc. myself. Unfortunately, as a working-FT-homeschooling-mom that was more than I could manage, so it was worth the investment for me to purchase it ready-made. And I am glad I did. It has given us glimpses into many wonderful children's books that we are queuing up to read together. But it had not occurred to me to do my fast-forward using that resource. I think I'll try that! :001_smile: