Menu

Olympics Unit Study..ideas?

Heather in OK

Do you have any fun plans to do a study during the Olympics? :) Things that aren't too time consuming?

I am going to have my older two girls plan a trip as if they are going. They will have to find a flight, a hotel, and tickets to events they would like to attend. Then figure up the expenses.

Any other ideas???

TeacherCreated has multiple Olympics units, just search their site. Here are two I found for the Vancouver games specifically, for grades 1-3 and 4-6.

http://www.buyteachercreated.com/estore/product/2395

http://www.buyteachercreated.com/estore/product/2396

The Teacher Created materials are designed for classroom use, but often can be easily tweaked for hs.

Have fun!

I'm a total Olympics buff (one of the highlights of my life was visiting Olympia, Greece and the stadium in Athens from the 1896 games in the same week... swoon!), so I would probably go totally overboard with this.

During the last summer games, we staged our own "Olympics" with some friends -- the kids participated in different "events", made "medals", had "awards ceremonies", etc.

I would probably take the time to read some books about examples of great sportsmanship during past games. Also the intersection of politics and the Olympic Games, perhaps examining the 1936 Berlin Games, the 1972 Munich Games, and the 1980 Moscow Games.

My husband suggests having at least the older kids learn about the figure skating scoring system and consider the weight of different judges' input in the final score. Also the consequences to the final score of making particular errors, like falling on a jump. He also thinks there's a lot of math and physics that could be done with sports like ski jumping, anything involving laps, and curling.

Also the history of individual sports, and the impact of technological innovations, such as the clap skate in speed skating, aerodynamics in bobsledding, etc.

Edited by skueppers
Added my husband's suggestions