Menu

Rod & Staff English 4 or FLL 4 / WWE?

PinkTulip

Help me decide which curriculum to use for my 10 year-old son.

A little background: he is currently in public school, which I like, overall, but I want to pull him out during his language class because his teacher is making both of us crazy. He has homeroom, then separates out for language and is grouped by ability. I love his homeroom teacher, so I would just bring him home from 9:00-10:45 every day (we live 2 min. from the school). Dual enrollment is allowed in our state, and I have done it with this school in the past, so I know it won't be a problem.

Now to the curriculum: I have used FLL 1/2 in the past, as well as Rod & Staff 3. I'm not familiar with the newer FLL (3, 4), or WWE at all, and I'm just looking for a thorough language arts curriculum. We will focus a lot of time on spelling, as my son is dyslexic and spelling is his hardest area. I'd just like a good, thorough curriculum we can do daily that will include: grammar, comprehension, writing, etc.

I know there are a lot of other curriculia out there, but help me focus on the pros and cons of these two.

Thanks so much for any input you can give me: things you like, don't like, things you have to supplement, etc.

Now to the curriculum: I have used FLL 1/2 in the past, as well as Rod & Staff 3. I'm not familiar with the newer FLL (3, 4), or WWE at all, and I'm just looking for a thorough language arts curriculum. We will focus a lot of time on spelling, as my son is dyslexic and spelling is his hardest area. I'd just like a good, thorough curriculum we can do daily that will include: grammar, comprehension, writing, etc.

I know there are a lot of other curriculia out there, but help me focus on the pros and cons of these two.

Thanks so much for any input you can give me: things you like, don't like, things you have to supplement, etc.

I think FLL with WWE is an excellent combo for grammar/writing/reading comprehension. I also think R&S and WWE is a good combo. R&S is more geared to a classroom, so you'd have to filter out some exercises - you'd have to be comfortable with picking out what he doesn't need. If you use R&S with WWE, just eliminate the R&S writing lessons, unless you want to use them for some reason (your ds likes poetry or letter writing or something like that). Then all you have to do is find a spelling program, and give him some books to read.

EDIT: And if you've got almost two hours, BONUS!! You'll have plenty of time to either read aloud to him or let him read or let him play outside before going back to school.