Menu

Must consolidate vocabulary....

Currently, we are using IEW Early American History themed writing which includes vocabulary words 4 words/week (most weeks). In addition, we use Wordly Wise and Word Roots with kids in grades 6 and 5.

Next year, we'll continue with IEW using Ancient History themed writing with vocabulary and we'll add MFW Creation to Greeks which will include English From the Roots Up.

We used EftRU 2 years ago, and my kids loved it, so it will be somewhat of a review...... I could add the next set of cards for new words. We have never studied Latin, so I really want to study roots to help with figuring out unknown words and for reading comprehension. I will also be adding one more child to the mix: a 2nd grader. So next year a 7th, 6th, and 2nd grader would be doing EftRU together within MFW.

I have a couple of questions: How could I use EftRU the WTM way? (Is this even a good idea? I am just trying to stick to a plan.... TWTM)

Also, since we'll be using IEW history with vocabulary AND MFW with EftRU, do I need any other vocabulary? Which would you keep/drop between Wordly Wise and Word Roots? Should I drop Word Roots and use Vocabulary from Classical Roots? (This seems to be more popular, but it seems more words would be learned with Word Roots.....not sure which is better.)

IOW..... would you help me consolidate? :tongue_smilie:

Edited by Sweet Home Alabama

Next year, we'll continue with IEW using Ancient History themed writing with vocabulary and we'll add MFW Creation to Greeks which will include English From the Roots Up.

We used EftRU 2 years ago, and my kids loved it, so it will be somewhat of a review...... I could add the next set of cards for new words. We have never studied Latin, so I really want to study roots to help with figuring out unknown words and for reading comprehension. I will also be adding one more child to the mix: a 2nd grader. So next year a 7th, 6th, and 2nd grader would be doing EftRU together within MFW.

I have a couple of questions: How could I use EftRU the WTM way? (Is this even a good idea? I am just trying to stick to a plan.... TWTM)

Also, since we'll be using IEW history with vocabulary AND MFW with EftRU, do I need any other vocabulary? Which would you keep/drop between Wordly Wise and Word Roots? Should I drop Word Roots and use Vocabulary from Classical Roots? (This seems to be more popular, but it seems more words would be learned with Word Roots.....not sure which is better.)

Wow, I can't help compare all the ins & outs of all those programs, but I'd pick one roots program and go in more depth with it if needed, rather than jumping around to different roots programs.

Since EFRU will be all planned for you, it makes sense to use that. If it's not enough, then study more of the words that come from those roots or swap them out for the level 2 book or something. It would depend on how much my kids had retained from EFRU 1.

If you have the vocab in the IEW program, too, plus the natural vocabulary expansion that happens with read-alouds & such, then your kids should be developing nicely in that area. Don't worry so much!

Julie

Thanks, Julie....

Actually, we've had a pretty good year, so far. I do realize that I can't keep up so many programs next year. I will certainly drop something. EftRU wasn't really my first choice; it's just what MFW schedules.

EftRU was ok when we did it the first time..... my kids loved it. I'd like to make it different somehow so that they don't get tired of it.... you know, "Mom, we've already done this!!"

Can anyone share ways you have used EftRU?..... especially using it multiple times?