Menu

Rhythm Instrument Set Recommendations ?

Momma2Many66

Can anyone recommend a good high quality Rhythm Instrument Set for homeschooling ?

I want a set made mostly from wood and of the good quality instruments that held up like we used in early elementary grades.

My little ones want to have a fun band of percussion instruments, but everything I see looks very cheaply made and doesn't look like it will hold up to long term kid usage. When I do searches online, I can't tell what is made well and what is just junk.

Any recommendations or advice would be so appreciated !

Guest Alte Veste Academy

We have had Nino stuff for years and it has held up incredibly well to some pretty serious use (and I'm ashamed to say abuse). Also, we have Remo drums and they are incredible!

I'll try to find the stuff we have and link it directly...

Guest Alte Veste Academy

Remo Floor Tom

Remo Bongo

OK, in searching now it seems that maybe a company called Meinl bought Nino? These are some of the things they have but they're Meinl now.

Meinl Cabasa

Meinl Maracas

Egg Shaker Assortment (a favorite with the kids and cat)

Claves

Wood Tone Block

Chimes

We have a lot of other stuff by the same company...finger cymbals (my ears couldn't take the big ones!), frog guiro, and a few other things. We also have some good bells and a few other things we've picked up along the way.

I'm sorry. This might not be exactly what you're looking for as it isn't in a tidy kit (although they do have a tidy percussion kit and another small, introductory set). We have assembled our musical instruments bit by bit for birthdays and holidays so that spreads out the price of things and makes it easier. We've been very happy with the quality of the items.

Now we have to cough up the money for a piano. :001_huh:

Edited by Alte Veste Academy

I bought a complete drum set w/ symbols online from Toys'R'Us by First Act. The drums are wooden - birch - and the wood is thick (it's not going to crack if your dc sits on one). The drum heads are of pretty good quality for it being from a toy store and should last a long time. The only exception, if your dc are serious about learning the drums, would be that sometime down the road you'd want to get better hi-hat symbols and possible replace the crash symbol as well. I got it all (seat, sticks, etc.), with shipping, for under $200.

BoomWhackers (sold by RR) look very interesting as well. I've been eyeing those with Christmas presents in mind.