Menu

Saxon Math question

ProudGrandma

For those of you who have more than 1-2 kids and use Saxon Math...how do you do it? I mean...do you spend time with each child to do all the TE asks of you? Do you skip over a lot of that stuff and just do the worksheet and drill sheets?? Can someone just give me some guidance how I can schedule my 3 kids (Saxon 1,2 and 3) math lessons Thanks.

Kathy

I'm using Saxon 3 this year and I just want to tell you, what ever you do, do NOT skip the "meeting" part. It is very important and this is where your children will learn the most from.

What I would do if I was you and have 3 children doing saxon, is...

Do the Meeting time together.

If your working on the calendar, do each kid seperetly for their level.

Then do clock, each child one at a time.

Then do money, one at a time. etc, etc, etc..

Yeah, you'll have 3 teachers manuals in front of you but you'll have that part done right away. Then you could teach each one their lesson and then they work on there sheet while you teach the next. Maybe the others can do something else while your teaching the first and then the second. Or playing quietly would be fine too.

Sounds like alot I know, but you will be so impressed how much they learn from that "meeting" time.

My Dd was behind and I caught her up in a couple months by using it. Nothing seemed to click with her before.

Great stuff!

HTH and Good luck.

I've found it best to just do each child seperately. A few things that I do that might help you:

Once I know that the kids have the meeting stuff down - I only do each item once a week. This will cut down your time doing the meeting. If your child already knows how to count by tens - you don't need to do it everyday! But be careful not to skip anything new in the meeting time, counting by 7s and 12s are introduced in the meeting time not in the lessons.

I schedule math 4 times per week - if you are able to do the same then on some days you may only teach two children rather than all 3.

Have one child start on the worksheet while you do the lesson with another child. If you have him do that day's lesson's worksheet - have him do all the problems except for the one covering today's lesson. I have also done the worksheet the day after the lesson - then they should know all the material. This way some of the children have something to do on their own while you are teaching the other.

Whatever you do, don't ignore the meeting activities or skip the lessons.

Good luck!

THANKS so much ladies for your input...this is all very helpful. SO, tell me...if I start our day with Math...do the meeting stuff that I know the kids don't know....have them each do the drill sheet and then teach each child one at a time, that should do it...right? We do workboxes, so I think then I can dismiss them to go to their boxes after I taught them. THANKS again...off to plan for Monday.