Menu

minstrel in the tower?

brownie

I let ds9 choose from the list of studies available on Progeny Press and this is the one he has chosen. However, looking at the book itself online, it says it is a stepping stone book? I don't mind using an 'easier to read' book to study deeply, but I need to make sure it's not an easy reader before purchasing! He reads at a 5th grade level (but Progeny Press guides are challenging). We most recently were pleased with Sarah Noble. Minstrel in the Tower study is supposed to be a little more challenging (according to Progeny Press)...which is what I'm looking for. Will I regret choosing this book? Thanks! Brownie

I just finished this with my 7 yr-old son. We read it together instead of having him read it on his own. While the reading level may technically appear to be a little on the easier side, there are some archaic speech patterns and vocabulary that present a bit of a challenge all on their own, IMO.

It's a good story with much to think about and discuss - not at all an easy reader in that sense.

My eight year old enjoyed reading it (like your child, he is reading at a fifth grade level). I don't think it looked as easy as, say, some of those leveled step-into-reading type books but it looked, judging by type font and thickness, to be about 3rd grade level or so. I just had him read it quickly.

You might look at "Door in the Wall" by D'Angeli. He's reading it right now and it's listed at 6th grade reading level.

Great! I've ordered the study guide. 3rd grade level is fine for a book we will do in depth. Right now we are reading the Golden Goblet together which is quite advanced so we are not dissecting it at the same level of detail we could for a simpler book...I just was hoping it wasn't an easy reader! Brownie