Menu

question for VP history users

ProudGrandma

I am using VP Old testament/ancient egypt this year with my 2nd and 3rd grader (my kinder sits in and does some of the things we are doing)...but what do I do with the projects where there are stories after stories (like the Unification of upper and lower Egypt)...am I to read these to the kids or is that just information for me? IT seems dry and I know my kids aren't going to sit and listen to me read that, but I don't want to skip over vital information either. Please someone, direct me! Thanks!!

I did this with my dd last year. I just looked over that reading...it is long!:) I don't think I did it. We may have hit the highlights. We made the crown and one of the other projects. We must have read about the unification of Upper and Lower Egypt in another resource and got it just fine. Remember, your students will see Ancient History again in the logic stage. It is only vital to get the facts now. Sometimes I remember reading things myself and then just summarizing it to my dd. I like this curriculum because it overlaps with Biblical history, but it is not perfect. It's ok to skip some things if they are "dry" or above grade level.

Remember that this curriculum is not grade specific. You can use it with a second grader or a sixth or both. That said some of the projects as well as the books chosen are for older kids. If your child likes that sort of thing read it otherwise, skip it. It is a great curriculum even if you don't do everything.

We have done this course in the past and are now doing the online self paced class.

HTH

When we use VP I use those projects for my oldest and give my younger ones a topical book to read or a picture to draw or something else. IMHO most of those long readings are not for the 2nd and 3rd grader. In fact my oldest did VP history when she attended a local classical school for 2nd and 3rd and they didn't do those readings in the school either.