Menu

New H1N1 Question for Perry & Everyone

We went to Tahoe for the weekend and when my pet sitter called to say she arrived and my dogs was doing fine -- also told me that she'd had the swine flu. (I asked if she was feeling okay because I could hear in her voice that she sounded sick.)

Her kids haven't gotten it yet.

I was upset. I make my boys wash their hands all the time, use the hand sanitizer and now I'm worried that the pet sitter brought the germ in.

She was last in our house around 2 p.m. and we arrived around 4 p.m. We bought Lysol wipes and cleaned the door knob, fridge etc. anything she might have touched.

My husband said I was being overly cautious, but it seemed like very little to do to keep from catching the germ. We can't get the shot for 2 more weeks.

There's a boy nearby who is currently in the hospital w/ confirmed H1N1 w/ pneumonia who had fluid removed from one lung, the other collapsed. We're all waiting to hear the latest.

I realize that for most, this flu is mild, but I'd like to avoid it all together if possible.

I guess my question is: how long does this germ live on a surface?? Is my house contaminated? The pet sitter only came in, fed the dog, let him out potty etc. She didn't spend the night.

Thanks Perry and Everyone!!

Alley

I guess my question is: how long does this germ live on a surface?? Is my house contaminated? The pet sitter only came in, fed the dog, let him out potty etc. She didn't spend the night.

Thanks Perry and Everyone!!

Alley

I haven't looked at the original research on this so I can tell you what I've been taught, but I don't know how reliable it is.

How long the virus lives on inanimate surfaces depends on how it got there. It will survive longer if a person sneezes or coughs directly onto something, rather than touching it with a contaminated hand. If aerosolized (through sneezing), it can last for anywhere up to 24 hours or longer, but a few hours is probably more accurate. If she simply touches the handle, it will only survive for minutes, rather than hours. The virus likes hard surfaces better than porous (fabric, etc.).

It's believed that influenza is transmitted by droplets (virus clinging to droplets created by sneezing, etc.) rather than airborne (suspended in the air). So anything she sneezed or coughed into the air should long ago have settled to the ground. I don't think this has been adequately studied though, and it wouldn't surprise me if we eventually find out that there is airborne as well as droplet transmission.

I would have done the same thing you did.