Menu

Encouraging diverse reading (x-post)

Hello! My dd (2nd grade PS) is a very good reader capable of reading 4-5th grade level books according to her school assessment. However, right now all she wants to read are Box Car Children books and sometimes over and over and over. Her PS teacher feels that yes she could reader higher level books, but dd will never get the opportunity to read (and take AR tests) on these books again. We have lots of other books she could read, so how can I best encourage her to branch out in her reading choices?

I used the Pizza Hut reading program to get my son to read from other genres -- biography, poetry, non-fiction, fables/fairy tales during that stage. He could only earn his pizza hut pizza if he read 1 book from every category each month (I also did this during the summer reading program). And, I was a mean mom -- I would only let him check out 1 book (at the time it was the Magic Tree House Book or A to Z Mysteries) and he had to check out other things.

I probably wasn't very encouraging about it, though. It was certainly more a forced structure than you might be willing or wanting to impose on your daughter.

My mom made "library cards" for my kids. She made 10 index cards with Dewey decimal basic numbers like 200s -religion, 500 science, 700 art, etc. Then she put stickers on and laminated them. She punched holes in them and put them together on a metal ring. My kids love them. They take their cards to the library and pick out a book from each section for which they have a card.

I created a Bingo sheet...each square had something different...such as science information book, biography, craft book, picture book, 'classic', from Mom's list. It also included a few things like read a book to younger sibling or draw a picture from your book. They use stickers to mark off as they complete them and then we do a small reward of some kind when they complete them...like a family movie night or stay up an hour later or ice cream w/Daddy. I haven't done them in awhile, but it was great to help my kids branch out a little bit.

I also like how it's recommended in WTM to have a few different genres that your child gets to choose any book in each week. I think this is a great habit to get in to...I like the pp idea of index cards printed with the Dewey decimal numbers on.

My mom made "library cards" for my kids. She made 10 index cards with Dewey decimal basic numbers like 200s -religion, 500 science, 700 art, etc. Then she put stickers on and laminated them. She punched holes in them and put them together on a metal ring. My kids love them. They take their cards to the library and pick out a book from each section for which they have a card.

Great idea! Way more fun than my Mean Mommy approach! Plus, it helps them learn the Dewey Decimal system.