Menu

Zojirushi Rice Cooker

OLCH

Please let me know if a 10 cup Zojirushi Rice Cooker & Warmer will also stream veggies. I've read many posts on a few threads & know this is a great machine, but I'm just not sure if it will steam veggies & I was hoping for this.

Also I am looking at getting it used w/out manual for $35. Would you do it? Of course it's "in great condition & very clean". ;)

I just checked out a rice cooker cookbook from the library and it mentioned that Zoji's that use "fuzzy logic" cannot steam veggies.

I have a $30 "Aroma" brand rice cooker (that I love) that my dh got at Costco that can steam veggies, but apparently, it cannot cook steel cut oats. It has a delay starter, white or brown rice option, quick cooking option and steam-only option.

Sounds like these machines have some give and take to them... Just make sure you do your research before purchasing!

Edited by BikeBookBread
more info...

Thanks Ferdie! When you say inexpensive, would it be less than the $35? Or would you just rather have brand new?

I'm usually OK w/ second hand on a bigger $$ item. I guess I should just ask the seller the model & if it steams.

I think it was about $18 at Walmart and it came with a steamer insert basket for veggies. I got it to make rice for sushi so I figured I would use it a few times a year. I didn't realize it would be such a useful appliance.

Since I use it several times a week, I wish I had taken a little time to research and get one with a timer. My kids have evening activites and sometimes it is a little tricky timing the rice since I am running in and out the house. It would be great if I could just load it up with water and rice and set the timer to go off 45 minutes before dinner.

For the veggies I load it up with veggies and cold water and leave it on the counter unplugged. Then I plug it in 10 minutes before dinner. So easy.

I don't think it matters if you get used or new. Just get the one you want. I use it so much I would have no problem spending $35 on this appliance.

ETA: It looks like this:

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=11379186

Edited by Ferdie