Menu

Saxon Math (is this all I need?)

I'm gonna post this in a seperate thread in the hope it'll get some answers. :]

Sorry, another maths question here too. We were thinking of purchasing the saxon math 8/7 for DD to go through since she doesn't have good foundations in a lot of concepts in the book but we haven't used Saxon before and was wondering if those who have could look at this link:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Math-Increme...2671174&sr=8-3

and tell me whether I'd need to purchase anything on top of that (tests, answers, etc)?

Thank you so much!

Jo

Be sure that the answer key and the text are the same edition. ;) Enough problems are changed between editions to make grading a nuisance if the editions don't match. Personally, I like the tests; they give me a snapshot of how the children are doing in math. (The answer key includes the answers to the tests.)

I made the jump & ordered the 8/7 on that page used. At approx $10 for a years worth of curriculum I doubt you can really go wrong. Woo! :]

How quickly do you reckon we could get through 8/7 though? We're going to be skipping over stuff she already understands but ideally I'd like her to catch up with Algebra I before the end of the school year. We're going to go through the summer of next year since DD finds it boring for the most part & enjoys doing 'school' out in the sun. Do you think we could get back on track? S:

How quickly do you reckon we could get through 8/7 though? :

It depends on how you define "get through" ;)

There are probably 130 lessons in that book.

180 days in a school year.

Are you going to repeat lessons if she earns a low score? Misses more than so many?

Are you just going to do every lesson in the book?

Are you going to show her how to do the ones she gets wrong?, etc.

What do you want to achieve by the end of Math 87

Many folks speed their way through Math 87 but hit the wall 2 months into Algebra-1

So... you know, it kind of depends on what your goals are

There are ways to "get through" 87 rather quickly.

Skip lessons, skip problems, move on even if your student scores poorly, do the hard ones for them while they watch you work, etc.

:seeya:

DD's set on wanting to do math independently but I don't know until it arrives whether I'll be able to do that or not. But basically the plan was

- skip ahead to exercises, going back to the lesson if needed

- if she scores less than 95% (I said 90% but DD wants 95%) she goes back to the lesson

- we go over any problems she still can't get right together until she understands it & can explain it to me.

She's done algebra in school but she's never done well with it (because she doesn't have good foundations in it, evidently) so we're going back to it while we still can.

I think within a couple of days we'll have an idea of how much we can get through in a day so we'll be able to work it out. Thank you so much. (: