Menu

Is this too many materials for math?

Ok, me and DD are starting our first day of classical ed today. Well, tommorow. DD's keen to start today but it's 12:36 and we don't have the time left in the day. ;D

Math-wise though, DD's doing Algebra I. Now, I'm currently off work until at least the end of October, at the very earliest & it's definately not by choice (my version of walking with the pain I'm in looks pretty much like a duck ;D) so we don't have a lot of money to spare and therefore we're basically using free materials and some other stuff we got our hands on.

Now, anyway, next month we'll be ordering Kinetic Algebra I at the very beginning of the month but DD wants to start math now. So our plan wassss...

Either use the hippo campus algebra IA lessons and then look up materials to solidify the facts in her mind then do the homework or find a list of algebra I topics that should be covered and base it off that doing the corresponding hippo campus lesson, looking it up again and finding other materials, probably using some GCSE revision books, then doing the hippo campus homework.

She's tried using hippo campus alone in the past & she never 'got it' enough to get over 75% on the homework but today she watched the hippo campus lesson, looked it up in her GCSE revision book, played a game she found online, watched the lesson again, then did the homework & managed 100% on the homework so she's really proud ;D

My question is though, is this going to be too much to do with every topic? I know she's not going to remember it 100% with hippo campus alone... Help a new homeschooler out? (:

Jo

Sorry, another maths question here too. We were thinking of purchasing the saxon math 8/7 for DD to go through since she doesn't have good foundations in a lot of concepts in the book but we haven't used Saxon before and was wondering if those who have could look at this link:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Math-Incremental-Development-Stephen-Hake/dp/0939798549/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1252671174&sr=8-3

and tell me whether I'd need to purchase anything on top of that (tests, answers, etc)?

Thank you so much!

Jo

I think I have a solution for you! This morning Homeschoolbuyersco-op senet out an email listing their latest deals, and one of them was a free subscription to a high school math program until Dec!!

Here is the link: http://catchupmath.com/hsbcoop/. They tell you on the page how to sign up for it.

And if you haven't joined the co-op yet - do! It is well worth it. It is free too

Meryl

Thanks for that link Meryl. (: DD's placed in Pre-Algebra Proficiency but within fifteen minutes she's frustrated with it. It's only showing us the answer & working for the first practice question over and over again no matter what problem DD works. Any ideas?

Jo