Menu

New Ways to Say Thank You

Over the past several years, I have had much occasion to write thank you notes. Many people have been very good to us and very thoughtful as we have been going through quite a lot, including two bouts of cancer (the second currently ongoing) with ds. Though my notes have often been late (some have been VERY late) due to circumstances, I have written the notes from a very grateful heart.

For one larger set of notes, following a MOST trying medical time, I used a nice font to type up a note on regular 8.5 x 11 paper that everyone received -- the note took up about one-third of the page; below that I had computer-generated lines for the rest of the page, plus another full page of just lines. On those lines I hand wrote notes that were specific to that person/family/gift, including for example, things they said that were so encouraging, or things they did, even as *simple* as phoning us long distance at the hospital everyday to check on ds' progress, how we were holding up, etc.

I have more notes to write for some Very unexpected but Very appreciated gifts and acts of kindness from the last few weeks. Here is what I need help with: new ways to say thank you! What are some ideas that you express in your thank you notes? I want some fresh ideas for sincerely saying thank you, I appreciate your [thoughtfulness or whatever]. My handwritten notes (possibly on stationery cards this time) will still include specifics for that person/family - but please give me some help here! I'd really appreciate it! :) And thanks! :D

My 18yo dd likes to make note cards. She uses scrapbooking materials, rubber stamps, and calligraphies "Thank you" on the front, mounted on a blank folded white card. (We buy Index Card Stock by the ream & fold & trim the paper to fit the envelope.)

You may want to include a Bible verse or inspiring quote (you can Google for this), typed out in an interesting font on the cover of the card.

You could also get a small reprint of a photo of you & the giver together (or of your family) and trim & glue it to the front of the card.

Consider the creative things people do at Christmastime with their annual family letters.

You can also just send a postcard, to make the format different. At Christmastime, I glue a 4x6" photo of our family on one side of a 4X6" index card & write a short note (plus room for address) on the other side.

The Post Office now charges extra postage for rigid envelopes, or when thick 3-D items are inserted in the letter--so you can't get TOO creative, or you have to pay 20 cents (or more?) extra.

I know that people enjoy being thanked for their "act of kindness". HOWEVER, I am pained when I see that the effort they went to for the "thank you" created hours & hours of work! (For example, if I make a meal for a friend who is sick, all I'd like is a post-it note thank you on the returned dish. I would NOT want her to spend an hour of her precious time making a hand-made note card!!)

I admire your loving desire to express your thanks!

Beth S: Thank you so much for the suggestions! You have definitely given me some new ideas. In my thank you notes, I don't want to be redundant, and I do want the sincerity of my expressed sentiment to come through. Thank you for helping me out! :)