Menu

How do you handle copywork while transitioning to cursive?

LunaLee

DS is beginning to learn cursive and he really likes doing it so usually I just let him use it when he wants. He still needs work on how to form the letters together, so he does some basic cursive worksheets I had from Enchanted Learning. Well this week, I purchased Start Write and did his copywork pages in cursive so he could trace over it. Is this the best way to go? Or should I just print out the pages written in cursive so he learns to read it, but copies it in print?

Copywork doubles as language arts and handwriting practice here, so I guess I just want to make sure I am going about this the best way.

There are so many ways to do this and none of them will be wrong. Here's my method.

Just starting in cursive stage: Practice pages in cursive only, but all copywork in manuscript.

Somewhat cursive-capable (after the first year): Occasional copywork in cursive, but still some in manuscript. She can choose to use either in her other classes. I would not mix the two--keep the model in the format you want the copywork done in.

Cursive comes easily (I think this will be another 6 months.): All copywork in cursive. She may choose to use either in her classes, but I will encourage cursive.

We do all copywork in manuscript until all the cursive letters, plus joining, has been covered. I have Educational Fontware, so once they are ready to do cursive copywork, I print it out, making some words manuscript and some cursive. As their cursive skills increase, I make more and more of the copywork cursive, until it all is.