Menu

Calvert Pre K

sixtimemomma

I recommend lots of reading aloud, coloring, playing with different sized containers to learn size and volume, using rice or beans or sand. Lots of outdoor explorations finding leaves, bugs worms, birds, etc. Singing, listening to music, and using kazoos and rythm type instruments. Lots of reading aloud to the Pre-K'er. Go outside on walks and runs and hop and skip. Look at picture books. Lots of reading aloud! :D

You really don't need to spend a bundle on Pre-K stuff because there are so many things around the house and yard to explore and learn! Plus, I forgot to mention, you can read to him/her a lot!

Thanks

I just keep feeling like I am neglecting my preschooler. I have six kids 4 of which are schooling this year and I don't want to forget my 4 year old. I figured if I had a boxed curriculum I would be sure not to miss anything. I don't want to bore him to death with just worksheets and I am not really a creative arts and craft person.

I bought Calvert's pre-K to use with my older son when he was a preschooler. Like you, I felt like I was neglecting him a bit. :) Honestly, we hardly ever used it. It started out well for about three weeks, but there seemed like quite a bit of worksheet type stuff, and we thought it was all pretty dry and very simplistic. I wanted more seasonal type crafty fun things. Eventually, I let it slide completely.

Do you have an older child who'd be willing to help out? This year, I've enlisted my 11 year old daughter to help "do preschool" with my littlest guy. She's thrilled with the idea! He's got special needs (autism, severe anxiety and sensory issues) and really needs a structured routine or he goes wacky on us. He's in special education preschool part-time, but I'd like to transition him to learning at home eventually. Additionally, my 11yo has been feeling a little overshadowed by her older sister, so this has given her a sense of responsibility that she's really enjoying. It's a win-win!

I had my 11yo look at preschool curriculum with me, including all the books I've bought over the years and never used. She ended up choosing Letter of the Week's prep curriculum - http://www.letteroftheweek.com - which is free, and she has a plan to do crafts and stories with each week's theme. We'll see how it goes. :)

We used it a couple of years ago. It was nice, but I felt it was overpriced for what we got, especially since my child was 3 (although accelerated) and still finished and understood everything in 5 months. I think the Sonlight preschool programs look awesome, or Berry Best Preschool. You might also be able to do Oak Meadow's K program, since I've heard it's really, really gentle and light, with lots of nature and art based activities.