Menu

Getting very nervous about ps math (x-post)

My kids are going back to ps this fall. My rising 7th grader did pretty well with Foerster's Algebra 1 last year. We did a little review last week, and her work was very inconsistent. Some of it she sailed through, and other problems she had no idea how to do. With a little review it came back to her and she could do the problems easily. I'm not 100% convinced she understands it as well as she should.

The school gave her a placement test and she did well. They gave us the choice of whether to take Algebra again or go on to Geometry.

I'm conflicted. She wants to take Geometry. I think she'll be okay with it, but I don't know if she'll be ready for Algebra 2 next year. That seems like a big jump. OTOH, I don't want her to repeat Algebra 1 if she's going to be thoroughly bored.

Anyone BTDT?

I'd move her ahead just because she'll be on par with the rest of the class, which is likely to need some review before starting Algebra II.

In some other circumstances, I might do more Algebra I, but in a public school setting I think she'll be right where the teacher is teaching.

Julie