Menu

Need A/C reccomendations... please!!

I'm pretty certain my air conditioner is shot. It was half way through it's life when we moved in here in 1996 and I'm certain it's on it's last legs now. I realize it's hot outside, but I'm running the A/C all the time and the house never seems to cool off. My house is pretty small too! I think we have to get a new one as this one has been repaired 3 times already in the past, but I wanted to ask the brilliant hive mind first as you ladies (and gents) are filled with pearls of wisdom.

If you absolutely love your air conditioner can you tell me what make and model you have?? I'd really appreciate some recommendations. Call me jaded, but I think if I ask the a/c man what is the best, he will probably recommend the most expensive. :rolleyes:

Thank you so much to all who reply. :)

Jen

Could you be more specific as to the type of A/C you are looking for?

IMHO Properly sizing the a/c for the load is the most important...after that you can pick from the reliability ratings for the various brands vs the pricing...then very carefully inspect the unit you chose and insist that anything wrong be made right. The quality control procedure used at the factory can let poor workmanship through, even if it's a reputable brand.

http://www.mouthshut.com/review/Choosing_an_Air_Conditioner-48042-1.html

Edited by lgm

Could you be more specific as to the type of A/C you are looking for?

IMHO Properly sizing the a/c for the load is the most important...after that you can pick from the reliability ratings for the various brands vs the pricing...then very carefully inspect the unit you chose and insist that anything wrong be made right. The quality control procedure used at the factory can let poor workmanship through, even if it's a reputable brand.

http://www.mouthshut.com/review/Choosing_an_Air_Conditioner-48042-1.html

Thanks for your reply. What I have now, is a Ruud air handler inside the house. I think it is an 11/12 seer unit. I have a 3 ton Rheem unit outside. I think I will probably have to replace both of them. I'm not sure of the total square footage of my house, but it's a pretty standard size townhouse I guess. 2 bedrooms and 1 and a half bath. I'm just not even sure what brands are good or not. That's why I'd love some recommendations. :) Thank you for the link. I'm going to email that to my husband. :)

Edited by Ibbygirl