Menu

Video Camera

I don't know of an on-line class, but my dd, who is interested in videography, has benefited greatly from an "internship" with a nearby small video production company, so that might be something you might look into. She has been able to use much better equipment than anything we could have afforded and has had excellent exposure to camera use and editing even though it wasn't an official class. Some other options might be finding a cc class or even many of the larger public high schools offer these courses, if homeschoolers can take classes there in your state.

We live in a fairly rural area, too - the place where my daughter goes is a 45 minute (each way) drive and it was unusual to have a place like that even that close. Our kids are in 4H and that is how my dd got connected with the people she is working with. The 4H video photography manual is horribly outdated (at least in our state), but she got connected with some county people that knew about what opportunities there were in the area. You might want to check with your county extension office and see if there is a county photography leader in 4H - they are usually very encouraging and helpful. Also, I know that in most areas there are people that do videography for weddings and smaller events that might be willing to allow job shadowing - you never know what doors may open. It seems that most photography people seem very excited to share their interest with kids.

Another option would be to take some general still photography classes/projects, because there is a lot of carryover in the skills of composition, lighting, etc. that apply to both. Another idea would be getting some books on the subject and doing some self-teaching - our fairly small library system had some books on filmmaking for youth that my dd has read and found helpful.

I know driving so much can be a hassle, but if you live in a rural area, you are probably used to that!