Menu

Junior Master Gardeners

We are doing a class right now organized by our local 4-H in conjunction with the county extension. This is the second year we have done the class and the kids love it. It has been really well thought out.

The first year they had classes on tree and leaf identification, weed identification, trips to gardening centers for landscape design and planting, visit to community gardens, bug collecting and then mounting. Our last class is tomorrow and they will be sad to be done.

That sounds like such a great idea...

did you know someone else who did this, or is it just something you thought of? I'm just wondering if it's actually an "official" program, in which case there'd have to be some info out there SOMEwhere.

Maybe start by contacting the regular Master Gardener program people for your county? I tool the "grown-up" class a few years back, and would LOVE for my kiddos to be able to take it in a simplified version...

Good experiences here as well. My son was sad he was too young for it. They received a book "Junior Master Gardener Handbook" that has been a big hit with my daughter. We have level one but there is at least one more.

That sounds like such a great idea...

did you know someone else who did this, or is it just something you thought of? I'm just wondering if it's actually an "official" program, in which case there'd have to be some info out there SOMEwhere.

Maybe start by contacting the regular Master Gardener program people for your county? I tool the "grown-up" class a few years back, and would LOVE for my kiddos to be able to take it in a simplified version...

I AM one of the regular Master Gardener people! I don't know anyone who has done any work with this program, much less started a group. There is an official program, it comes out of Texas Extension (A & M) and they do have a website---

http://www.jmgkids.us/

I just finished the Master Gardener training this spring, and I really would like to work with kids as my "main" volunteer area. The website is nice, but is more about the curriculum, and I was hoping to get some info from anyone who has actually done a group. What works, what doesn't, optimum size of the group, how often to meet, that sort of thing.

Guest Alte Veste Academy
I AM one of the regular Master Gardener people! I don't know anyone who has done any work with this program, much less started a group. There is an official program, it comes out of Texas Extension (A & M) and they do have a website---

http://www.jmgkids.us/

I just finished the Master Gardener training this spring, and I really would like to work with kids as my "main" volunteer area. The website is nice, but is more about the curriculum, and I was hoping to get some info from anyone who has actually done a group. What works, what doesn't, optimum size of the group, how often to meet, that sort of thing.

So you're in Texas? :D

And you're going to start a group? :D

Whereabouts are ya?! :001_smile:

This is something I would love the kids to do. Heck, I would love to do a junior version, as I am very intimidated by the one for grown-ups. :lol:

So you're in Texas? :D

And you're going to start a group? :D

Whereabouts are ya?! :001_smile:

This is something I would love the kids to do. Heck, I would love to do a junior version, as I am very intimidated by the one for grown-ups. :lol:

I am not in Texas, I am in Virginia. I did live in Houston for a couple of years, and there is truly nowhere else on Earth like Texas, it is wonderful.

The Junior Master Gardener Program is a trademarked curriculum that is put out by A & M, but it is used all over the country. I mean, once the work has been done to create the program, and they have trademarked "Junior Master Gardener", what else is there? My experience is that Texas extension does a masterful job, one of the best in the country.

You should look into it, if you are interested. Don't be intimidated by the regular Master Gardener Program, either. They train you well, and let you know there is nothing wrong with saying, "I don't know, but I can find out."

every state has a land grant school-

if you google state extension (which most are) or land grant and state, you'll find out what yours is. I think most states require volunteer time as well as payment for master gardener classes.

here is the link for virginia's extension program, I did a search on their site for junior master gardener & this is what came up-

http://www.ext.vt.edu/search.php?searchtype=vcesearch&q=junior+master+gardener&cx=013920026716507297540%3Aed1zydnh49c&cof=FORID%3A10&ie=UTF-8&x=0&y=0

HTH!