Menu

This year ds15 will be using this when he takes algebra II through VP Scholars. Since 4th grade he has only used Saxon and Jacobs.

I'm not very familiar with Foersters (sp?). Has anyone used this? Anything to watch out for, unique about it, etc?

Just want to be prepared!

Thanks.

I really like Foerster's texts. We used him for Al II and then for Pre-calculus with Trig. They are generally considered to be good tough math courses, I believe they are often used for AP or honors level courses. We thought they gave thorough instruction in the text and lots of application in the problem sets.

Do you know if they do the trig in AL II or in pre-calc? I'm thinking that because they list a pre-calculus course they will probably do Trig as part of that, which is good, because the trig in the older AL II book doesn't involve the graphing calculator in the way it is generally expected these days. Foerster's Pre-calculus book does do it that way because it is a new text.

HTH and good luck to him!

I really like Foerster's texts. We used him for Al II and then for Pre-calculus with Trig. They are generally considered to be good tough math courses, I believe they are often used for AP or honors level courses. We thought they gave thorough instruction in the text and lots of application in the problem sets.

Do you know if they do the trig in AL II or in pre-calc? I'm thinking that because they list a pre-calculus course they will probably do Trig as part of that, which is good, because the trig in the older AL II book doesn't involve the graphing calculator in the way it is generally expected these days. Foerster's Pre-calculus book does do it that way because it is a new text.

HTH and good luck to him!

You bring up an interesting question. The book says it is a 2yr book with algebra II and trig, but I believe the course description was for both this year, but I could be wrong about that. Hmm, I'd better go check. Seems like an awful lot for one year.

When you say the "older AL II book" what year(s) are you referring to? I'm not sure what edition they are using. Guess I'd better go check that too.

Okay, I found the answer. The course description says it is indeed a two year book and it is also used for pre-calc, so I'm assuming trig is the second year.

Edited by My3Boys

You bring up an interesting question. The book says it is a 2yr book with algebra II and trig, but I believe the course description was for both this year, but I could be wrong about that. Hmm, I'd better go check. Seems like an awful lot for one year.

When you say the "older AL II book" what year(s) are you referring to? I'm not sure what edition they are using. Guess I'd better go check that too.

Okay, I found the answer. The course description says it is indeed a two year book and it is also used for pre-calc, so I'm assuming trig is the second year.

Well...It is too bad in my opinion that they are using the older Foerster AL II with Trig for the precalc course. It is NOT however a deal buster, so please don't be alarmed by my comment. When I was figuring out our math progression here for our ds, I contacted Paul Foerster and had a really nice email discussion with him about our ds and asked him for recommendations. He recommended his Al II book with Trig, the one used by Veritas for AL II, but recommended his Pre-calculus with Trigonometry course/book from Key Curriculum Press. His Al II book dates back to the early 90's and has been reissued many times but not updated. So, it doesn't use modern graphing calculator features. Mr. Foerster felt this was important for a kid heading for calculus and engineering, or heavy math fields.

HOWEVER...because you are taking an on-line course it is very likely that your child's teacher will teach the calculator stuff as well. I don't know if Veritas does that or not, but if it is something you are concerned about you should by all means contact them. I'm sure they are using the book for two years because that way parents aren't screaming at them about buying a book and not using half or at least 1/3 of it. I personally feel that the combination of the two text books, while more $$$ is a better way to go, but I'm not teaching the class (not that I could, by the way).

In our case, we wanted to be very sure that ds was up to date technologically because he wants to go into a very computer dependent field and was interested in universities that rely on the use of loads of technology. We felt it would be a handicap for him not to learn to use the power of the modern graphing calculator. MANY people do not share this opinion. So you really need to think it through for yourself and decide what you want and need.

I hope this helps a little. If you write back and it takes me a day or two to reply, please understand that I have just started back to work....employed with real money for the first time in 18 years. So I'm training and I am only checking email in the morning and evening and not hanging out on the boards much.

He recommended his Al II book with Trig, the one used by Veritas for AL II, but recommended his Pre-calculus with Trigonometry course/book from Key Curriculum Press.

I don't understand this sentence. Would you please clarify?

Are you saying use the Al II book with Trig for Al II, but don't cover the Trig with that book, and use the Pre-Calculus wit Trig book for Trig and Pre-Calc?

I don't understand this sentence. Would you please clarify?

Are you saying use the Al II book with Trig for Al II, but don't cover the Trig with that book, and use the Pre-Calculus wit Trig book for Trig and Pre-Calc?

Mr. Foerster recommended his original text Al II with Trig for Algebra II and recommended his newer text by Key Press, Precalculus with trigonometry for a course on trig and precalc.... Sorry for being confusing in my statement.

So yes...Al II with the older text by Addison Wesley...or Prentice Hall or whatever it is now.... and Precalc with trig by Key Press.

Hope I've cleared it up...

Mr. Foerster recommended his original text Al II with Trig for Algebra II and recommended his newer text by Key Press, Precalculus with trigonometry for a course on trig and precalc.... Sorry for being confusing in my statement.

So yes...Al II with the older text by Addison Wesley...or Prentice Hall or whatever it is now.... and Precalc with trig by Key Press.

Hope I've cleared it up...

Thanks! We're doing Foerster's Algebra I right now (and I LOVE it), and we'll use Jacob's Geometry next year, so it's time I start paying attention to Algebra II and beyond.