Menu

Anyone Use Sonlight like this?

I have used the Sonlight readers/read alouds listed in the cores to help beef up the American history portion of Story of the World last year and this year (3rd and 4th grade). I haven't actually gotten one of the IGs or anything, just pulled the suggestions from the catalog or website. Overall I find the catalog more helpful in this respect.

Yes...I use Sonlight this way.

I used the entire Core when they were younger (Cores K, 1 & 2), but once they got the hang of reading chapter books, which starts in Core 3, I used it as a reading list. It happened sort of by accident, because I couldn't stand the history book used in Cores 3 & 4! (It's Landmark History of the American People, if I remember correctly.)

So I started to use a history text of my own (we've used a variety, too! We did the SOTW books...Genevieve Foster's books -- George Washington's World, etc. ... this year, we're using The Story of Mankind by Van Loon). I use many of SL's historical fiction titles and use them as read alouds (my kids LOVE Jean Fritz, for example! Even my teens want to hear them over again!)

I don't use all the readers -- but I try to choose 15-20 books for each of them to read during the school year for required reading (it works out to a book every two weeks. Some take a little longer, some just last a week).

I'm a secular homeschooler and this method makes it fairly easy to use Sonlight.

It happened sort of by accident, because I couldn't stand the history book used in Cores 3 & 4! (It's Landmark History of the American People, if I remember correctly.)

We're secular homeschoolers as well. I haven't tried the Landmark, used instead the alternate Sonlight suggestion for those levels of The Story of the USA workbooks along with Story of the World and other stuff I had. I happened on the workbooks used so started with them and have been pleased with them as our American history spine to go along with SOTW.

Thanks for your responses!! I'd love to hear about more people doing this same thing.. :)

My kids have really exploded this year with their reading. Last year my DD was soo bored in Core 1 and I let her read alot on her own. (Cant stand usbornes) and now that DS is reading really well.. Im leaning more toward using it more like a reading list. :)