Menu

Right Start E to Singapore

kim.4dogs

Has anyone gone from Right Start E into Singapore 5A? Did it work well for you?

I am no expert. I haven't done level E in RS yet, so I don't know what it covers. I did just work through 5A myself, and it works a lot on fractions, and then ends with geometry work (figuring the area of a triangle, then using that skill to figure the area of different shapes).

My guess would be that it would work out fine. My only concern (with my current knowledge level) would be doing and drawing bar graph problems. Those would probably be slow going for a while.

Heather

Yes, I am a little worried about the bar graphs. I am a math person, and some of those word problems scare *me*! I can't imagine what my daughter would think. Right Start has been such a fun curriculum, it's hard for me to imagine switching to Saxon (which is my other option right now). It just seems so dry, but maybe it is what she needs right now.

Thanks for your help!

Yes, I am a little worried about the bar graphs. I am a math person, and some of those word problems scare *me*! I can't imagine what my daughter would think. Right Start has been such a fun curriculum, it's hard for me to imagine switching to Saxon (which is my other option right now). It just seems so dry, but maybe it is what she needs right now.

Thanks for your help!

You don't need to be worried you will have the HIG and she draws them out for you!! I wish there were HIG's for the IP and CWP books too, because those are the ones that I get hung up on. I have an answer. I know their answer. I can't reconcile the two, so I run off to the Singapore Math forums and ask Jenny (the author of the HIG's). :D

With the HIG's it isn't doing the problems that was difficult. It has been getting my dd to be able to draw them. At first I would end up drawing a lot of them, then she could do the math. Over time as she has seen the same type of problems pop up she has gotten better at drawing them herself, and even doing a new type now and then. It is work, but I do think it is worth the effort, especially for visual learners. You could use it anytime to demonstrate a math problem.

Heather

That is part of the hang-up for me right now. I feel like I need to use the Standards Edition (we're in California, we use a charter, she'll be doing math in a classroom the following year,...), but there is no HIG for the Standards 5A yet, so I'd have to buy the teacher's manual. I think if the HIG was available it would have made the whole decision easier for me! Maybe it's only a $$ issue. I suppose the Teacher's Manual will show how to work the problems, too. I just hate teacher's manuals! I much prefer materials written for homeschoolers.

Decisions decisions...

When did you switch your dd to Singapore? I noticed in your siggy you've done RS through Level D. Did you move this daughter out of RS into Singapore or has she done Singapore all the time. I'm just curious about your experience. I'm thinking of skipping Level E and moving my son into MUS Delta next fall. But I'm not completely sold on the idea yet. I'm switching mostly because I want something less teacher intensive, but I don't want to shortchange him either since RS has worked well for him. I'm switching to LCC next year and am planning on using CW, and Lively Latin for both kiddos which I understand both programs to be teacher intensive. I just don't need another really teacher intensive Math too, ykwim? I'm not sure how I would accomplish it all since they are in different levels of CW and Math. Any advice?

Thanks,

Kim

That is part of the hang-up for me right now. I feel like I need to use the Standards Edition (we're in California, we use a charter, she'll be doing math in a classroom the following year,...), but there is no HIG for the Standards 5A yet, so I'd have to buy the teacher's manual. I think if the HIG was available it would have made the whole decision easier for me! Maybe it's only a $$ issue. I suppose the Teacher's Manual will show how to work the problems, too. I just hate teacher's manuals! I much prefer materials written for homeschoolers.

Decisions decisions...

If it helps the level 5 HIG's are coming, but probably not till March-ish. I only used a TM for 1A and 1B, but I don't remember it having the problems worked out...though it was the 1 level. I was a new hser and I didn't have the ability to translate classroom into hs yet, so they were pretty much worthless to me.

If you did do 5A and needed help, Jenny and a couple of other gals on the Singapore Math forums are great at showing you how to work it. You wouldn't be left without any help. Just not easy help.

Heather

When did you switch your dd to Singapore? I noticed in your siggy you've done RS through Level D. Did you move this daughter out of RS into Singapore or has she done Singapore all the time. I'm just curious about your experience. I'm thinking of skipping Level E and moving my son into MUS Delta next fall. But I'm not completely sold on the idea yet. I'm switching mostly because I want something less teacher intensive, but I don't want to shortchange him either since RS has worked well for him. I'm switching to LCC next year and am planning on using CW, and Lively Latin for both kiddos which I understand both programs to be teacher intensive. I just don't need another really teacher intensive Math too, ykwim? I'm not sure how I would accomplish it all since they are in different levels of CW and Math. Any advice?

Thanks,

Kim

I didn't switch, but have been doing both. I am a math person, and I fell in love with Singapore as a program. Problem is it makes logical leaps my kids just don't follow and my kids are all pretty hands on learners, that is where RS entered the picture.

My oldest adores RS and tolerates Singapore, so the plan here is go do through Geometry and then...well the plan gets fuzzy after that. I will probably use Singapore Developing Math program, but I am concerned it will continue to make logical leaps my kids can't follow. If that is true then I will need to find another base program like RS that covers the basics well, then I will do either DM or NEM with them as a secondary program to add challenge and thinking skills. Despite hating the idea of a video program I find myself really considering Video Text as a base. I am realizing how much I can't continue to do everything. If I want to continue with the Singapore way of thinking it might take compromises.

How to do it all? Well that is tricky. I actually have my schedule set up so that it is split into two parts. The first parts are the essentials that must be done daily (4 days a week for us). The second part is the things that can be done 3-4 times a week. On a good week like this week we get all of both done every day. (Woo Hoo!) On more challenging weeks like last week, which was our first week back after a two week break, I end up using a loop schedule with the second schedule. BTW Fridays are my correct papers and clean house day.

Let's see if I can type this out without writing a book. (Fat chance :smilielol5: )

First what I call daily one on one, what has to be done with each child daily with me. These need to be done daily because they are areas of weakness for the child, or I have a specific goal that they are working to (for example I do Bible with my 2nd dd daily because when she finishes with this program I will combine her with my oldest and that will be less work for me):

Sweet Pea:

Right Start D-two lessons a day and learn a new game with me on Monday (the game is played with the oldest two).

Homer A/Poetry A (alternating weeks) instructions.

Pumpkin:

Singapore text

Bible

Narration

Sweet Pea:

Singapore text

Reading

SL LA

String Bean:

Pre-Explode the Code

SL LA K

Speech Therapy

I purposly wait to start Singapore till 2nd grade so they can do it independently.

Here is their independent schedules, which they also do daily:

Sweet Pea:

Vocab for TOG

Right Start D worksheets

Right Start Games (played with siblings)

Singapore 4B

Homer A/Poetry A work

God's Design Science

Mapping from TOG

Reading/Literature from TOG

AAS dictation (using a mini-recorder)

Timeline work from TOG

Lively Latin-I only have her do one page a day. Snail's pace, but she is learning and she will finish Latin.

Artistic Pursuits

Pumpkin:

Vocab from TOG

RS Games

Singapore Math workbook (3A I think)

Mapping from TOG

AAS dictation

Typing

Honey Dew:

Singapore 1B workbook

Explode the Code

Right Start games

Mapping from TOG

This is the part I loop when needed. By that I mean I start with the first part of the schedule, and if I don't finish it the next day we pick up where we left off and finish it, then start back over at the top if we have the time.

Work 1 on 1 with Sweet Pea:

AAS

Math Corrections (problems she needs helps with in Singapore)

Bible Study Guide for All Ages

Latin Review

Work 1 on 1 with Pumpkin:

AAS

Right Start C

First Language Lessons (she will start JAG/CW after finishing this)

Writing With Ease 2

Outline (though this I need to move to daily, she really struggles with summary or pick out the main idea work and she is going to need it for outlining CW-and is also why she will do both CW and WWE at the same time for a while)

Work 1 on 1 with Honey Dew:

Bible

AAS

Right Start B

First Language Lessons

Writing With Ease 1

Work 1 on 1 with String Bean:

Right Start B

AAS

Speech Therapy Evaluations

HWT

Bible

Short Story

Craft Time 15-20 mins

Read Aloud time 2 chapters

To date I haven't found Lively Latin to be teacher intensive, but that might be because only my oldest is the only one doing it and the grammar is not new for her. We only listen to the review daily together and that is more for ME so I stay in the loop. I am also working through it on my own in the evenings and only get review when I schedule it in our hs time. ;)

Classical Writing is more time intensive. Not at the Aesop A and B level. At the Homer level there is a lot being learned. The readings aren't overly difficult and as the program continues there is less readings to do a week, but often my dd needs my help the first few times she has to do an exercise and that is what can take a good amount of time. That throws us to a loop schedule. I need to feel it is ok to take an hour one day to make sure she really has a concept. That is what allows her to work independently later, which I really need. CW doesn't do that every week, but knowing I can without guilt, without feeling the pressure of needed to finish, really helps. The outline, breaking into scenes, re-write in Homer take dd quite a bit of time. It doesn't take me much time to check them though (he, he). Though that is with my intuitive dd. My next child can build anything she sees but she is the opposite of intuitive with language, so it might take considerably more time for her, especially at first. If needed I will go to doing a model over two weeks for her.

Heather

I didn't switch, but have been doing both. I am a math person, and I fell in love with Singapore as a program. Problem is it makes logical leaps my kids just don't follow and my kids are all pretty hands on learners, that is where RS entered the picture.

My oldest adores RS and tolerates Singapore, so the plan here is go do through Geometry and then...well the plan gets fuzzy after that. I will probably use Singapore Developing Math program, but I am concerned it will continue to make logical leaps my kids can't follow. If that is true then I will need to find another base program like RS that covers the basics well, then I will do either DM or NEM with them as a secondary program to add challenge and thinking skills. Despite hating the idea of a video program I find myself really considering Video Text as a base. I am realizing how much I can't continue to do everything. If I want to continue with the Singapore way of thinking it might take compromises.

How to do it all? Well that is tricky. I actually have my schedule set up so that it is split into two parts. The first parts are the essentials that must be done daily (4 days a week for us). The second part is the things that can be done 3-4 times a week. On a good week like this week we get all of both done every day. (Woo Hoo!) On more challenging weeks like last week, which was our first week back after a two week break, I end up using a loop schedule with the second schedule. BTW Fridays are my correct papers and clean house day.

Let's see if I can type this out without writing a book. (Fat chance :smilielol5: )

First what I call daily one on one, what has to be done with each child daily with me. These need to be done daily because they are areas of weakness for the child, or I have a specific goal that they are working to (for example I do Bible with my 2nd dd daily because when she finishes with this program I will combine her with my oldest and that will be less work for me):

Sweet Pea:

Right Start D-two lessons a day and learn a new game with me on Monday (the game is played with the oldest two).

Homer A/Poetry A (alternating weeks) instructions.

Pumpkin:

Singapore text

Bible

Narration

Sweet Pea:

Singapore text

Reading

SL LA

String Bean:

Pre-Explode the Code

SL LA K

Speech Therapy

I purposly wait to start Singapore till 2nd grade so they can do it independently.

Here is their independent schedules, which they also do daily:

Sweet Pea:

Vocab for TOG

Right Start D worksheets

Right Start Games (played with siblings)

Singapore 4B

Homer A/Poetry A work

God's Design Science

Mapping from TOG

AAS dictation (using a mini-recorder)

Timeline work from TOG

Lively Latin-I only have her do one page a day. Snail's pace, but she is learning and she will finish Latin.

Artistic Pursuits

Pumpkin:

Vocab from TOG

RS Games

Singapore Math workbook (3A I think)

Mapping from TOG

AAS dictation

Typing

Honey Dew:

Singapore 1B workbook

Explode the Code

Right Start games

Mapping from TOG

This is the part I loop when needed. By that I mean I start with the first part of the schedule, and if I don't finish it the next day we pick up where we left off and finish it, then start back over at the top if we have the time.

Work 1 on 1 with Sweet Pea:

AAS

Math Corrections (problems she needs helps with in Singapore)

Bible Study Guide for All Ages

Latin Review

Work 1 on 1 with Pumpkin:

AAS

Right Start C

First Language Lessons (she will start JAG/CW after finishing this)

Writing With Ease 2

Outline (though this I need to move to daily, she really struggles with summary or pick out the main idea work and she is going to need it for outlining CW-and is also why she will do both CW and WWE at the same time for a while)

Work 1 on 1 with Honey Dew:

Bible

AAS

Right Start B

First Language Lessons

Writing With Ease 1

Work 1 on 1 with String Bean:

Right Start B

AAS

Speech Therapy Evaluations

HWT

Bible

Short Story

Craft Time 15-20 mins

Read Aloud time 2 chapters

To date I haven't found Lively Latin to be teacher intensive, but that might be because only my oldest is the only one doing it and the grammar is not new for her. We only listen to the review daily together and that is more for ME so I stay in the loop. I am also working through it on my own in the evenings and only get review when I schedule it in our hs time. ;)

Classical Writing is more time intensive. Not at the Aesop A and B level. At the Homer level there is a lot being learned. The readings aren't overly difficult and as the program continues there is less readings to do a week, but often my dd needs my help the first few times she has to do an exercise and that is what can take a good amount of time. That throws us to a loop schedule. I need to feel it is ok to take an hour one day to make sure she really has a concept. That is what allows her to work independently later, which I really need. CW doesn't do that every week, but knowing I can without guilt, without feeling the pressure of needed to finish, really helps. The outline, breaking into scenes, re-write in Homer take dd quite a bit of time. It doesn't take me much time to check them though (he, he). Though that is with my intuitive dd. My next child can build anything she sees but she is the opposite of intuitive with language, so it might take considerably more time for her, especially at first. If needed I will go to doing a model over two weeks for her.

Heather

Thank you so much for typing this all out. I really appreciate it. You mentioned looping which is the second time I've come across this concept. Maybe it's something I need to consider for next year. Anyway, thanks again, Heather!

Kim

I'm not Heather, but I wanted to chime in here.

this past year (5th grade) DS #2 finished RS E, and we went right into Singapore 5A, with no trouble. I had already done Singapore with my oldest, and so already knew how to do the bar diagrams. I think that it is so worth learning how to do them - the bar diagrams are such a powerful tool!