Menu

Forgetting Something

aready

There have been two big concerns in our household recently in regards to HSing.

1- Is there something I'm missing? I am attempting to HS my kids this summer for the first time. This is our trial for seeing if HS is something that both I and they can do. We are all enjoying it, but also realize that it is a COMPLETELY relaxed version of what we would do during the year.

In our attempt to decide between HSing and Private School, we have had many discussions on the matter. In these discussions one of the main "fears" is that we will skip something that is important and needed for later in life. Not like "oh we forgot to cover time and reading a clock" but an entire subject matter and realizing too late that they should be at say "level 5" now and we haven't ever done anything with it.

I know you can't cover everything in either HS or Private, and it is completely unrealistic to assume that you would. How do you decide what to teach and what you don't have time for? I have done many searches and gotten a few suggestions, but nothing from a classical prospective.

2- How do colleges view HSers? In my research it seems as though you are more likely to have smaller schools accept HSers that lets say a UCLA. Do any of you have experience sending your kids to college? If so- how was the application process? I just don't want to limit the kids possibilities for college because we chose to HS. And I know people say that it isn't a problem but I have never heard of anyone with experience doing it.

Thanks so much! I know I should just take the leap of faith and start HSing, but am too much of a 'researcher.' Ack!

-Amy

There have been two big concerns in our household recently in regards to HSing.

1- Is there something I'm missing? I have 2 suggestions as far as missing things. The first is to read The Well-Trained Mind. A classical education is laid out from K-12 in great detail. There's more than many people choose to do, but nothing is left out. :001_smile: My second suggestion is to research the private schools that cater to homeschoolers such as Calvert Homeschool.

2- How do colleges view HSers? Have you searched the high school board or asked your questions there? Many of the women who frequent the high school board have children in college.

Best of luck!

:001_smile:

In our attempt to decide between HSing and Private School, we have had many discussions on the matter. In these discussions one of the main "fears" is that we will skip something that is important and needed for later in life. Not like "oh we forgot to cover time and reading a clock" but an entire subject matter and realizing too late that they should be at say "level 5" now and we haven't ever done anything with it.

Here is my goal: If I teach my children to learn, if I train their minds and teach the the basic fundamentals (reading, writing, and arithmetic), then anything I miss that they need to know they will be able to learn, and learn well. As you said, you can't teach everything, so my goal is to teach them how to learn.

I'd ask your college question on the College Board.