Menu

Questions for those of you who secularize R&S English

I've read posts on the board where several of you have said that you secularize R&S. How do you do that? Is it difficult to do? Do you and your children ever feel that the Christian and Biblical references are too much and that you just can't take any more no matter how good the program is?

Let me preface this by saying that I have not used R&S since 4th grade when we put dss in school; however, we will be using R&S 6 this coming year. Also, we are Christian, but that doesn't mean that the text can't become too much at times.

When we used it before, I don't know that I actually secularized it, but it was not uncommon for me to edit it, sometimes frequently. For me it didn't seem that difficult, but it may have been due to how I taught the material.

The oral drills were easy, just leave out or change a sentence. I don't ever remember handing the book over to either of my dss and expecting them to do a lesson on their own. It was always taught. By doing that, I had more control over what sentences were being practiced. I also used a blackboard daily to write out probably at least half of the sentences. That way if I felt the need to change or leave out a sentence I could. It also was very easy, when they actually did the written or review work to just have them do certain sentences. Not difficult or time consuming, just a quick glance and circle the ones I wanted them to do. Although I had them, I don't think I used the worksheets more than once or twice. So perhaps that made it easier.

If you want it completely free of Christian and Biblical references it might be difficult, not not impossible. I guess I just always looked at it the same way I did some of the chapters in SOTW. If I remember correctly, much of the Biblical references in R&S would be from the Old Testament. So, to me that is very similar to ancient history. Sentences that started out with Brother John, I might change to Father John, but only because we are Catholic. It wasn't in an attempt to not confuse dss, but more likely we were having one of "those" days and I was subtly trying to get a point across.

I think most importantly I made sure from the beginning that dss understood that not all people were of the same faith as us. Some people believed different things, but that was o.k. It's one of those things that make the world a more interesting place. I would have done this whether or not we used R&S.

HTH