Menu

CLE Math question...catching up

Natalija

Dd is behind in her CLE math. I am trying to have her get caught up through the summer by trying to have her do 2 lesssons a day:tongue_smilie:...if possible..and even then she will barely finish. She is one grade level behind as it is already so I don't want to have her more behind than that. She can always do algebra in 9th, giving her one more year to get caught up.

Just needed some thoughts....isn't the 1st book in each level purely review? So if Dd is working finishing up a level over the summer, can she skip the 1st book of the next level since she did not take the summer off from it?

(There may be only a 2 week break from it from the time we go on vacation until we start school again.) That way, she will have a little less catching up to do.

Thanks for any thoughts!

Natalija

Just needed some thoughts....isn't the 1st book in each level purely review? So if Dd is working finishing up a level over the summer, can she skip the 1st book of the next level since she did not take the summer off from it?
Someone asked the same question on CLE forum about the Math 01 books and yes, they are review of material covered in previous level. I have 401 and it says to give student the final test in that Light Unit and if they get 90%, they can skip 401 and move to 402.

Yes, if you're not taking a break skip the first light unit of each level. It seems you know this already, but I think the 700 level is adequate preparation for algebra. I would also add that you could probably cross out a good number of review problems if you are doing 2 lessons a day. I'm just saying this because CLE lessons are long and if I did this my dd would burn out quickly. She gets frustrated with math anyway though...

I would do the new stuff for 2-3 lessons and then the We Remember for only that 2nd or 3rd lesson - all at once. 2 complete lessons is too long in my opinon. As long as she makes an A on the quizzes and tests I would keep that up.

Thanks! That is a great idea! It crossed my mind to skip some of the review sections. Yes, it is too much to do two, esp. over the summer. We will just do 2-3 new lessons and one review instead.

Thanks for the help everyone! It is always so helpful to get other's opinions, even for just the sake of affirmation.

Have a blessed day!

Natalija :001_smile:

Yes, the _-01 books are review. We're having Wacko work through the 501 book over the summer so that he doesn't lose anything between June and September. He just finished 5th grade in public school and this will be his first year homeschooling.

Dot does anywhere from two to four lessons a day, but she's working in the 100-level books and 97% of the material is review. She finished the 101 book in 7 days. We do skip a good many of the "we remember" sections.

If your DD is working through the summer and will start the next level in September, you can just skip the -01 for whatever the next level happens to be. The idea with those is that the child has a refresher of any skills lost over the summer break. If there is no long break the skills lost will be minimal.