Menu

More Life of Fred questions

Tami in CA

I was wondering about something. If the author of Life of Fred is currently working on a Pre-Algebra book, what is Fractions and Decimals & Percents? I thought that these covered pre-algebra concepts and that after completing these 2 books, a student would be ready for his Beginning Algebra?

If someone can explain this I would appreciate it.

Thanks,

Tami

Edited by Tami in CA

The Pre-Algebra book will be for children who aren't ready to tackle algebra yet. For instance - my 9 year old would have no problem doing Fractions and Decimals & Percents this year, but I doubt she would be ready for the higher thinking required for Algebra at age 10. Some 10 year olds might, but mine will be in the grammar stage for another year or two so I'm happy to know we'll have a LOF Pre-Algebra book for her in between.

Here is a great thread discussing LOF and a quote from it:

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102089&highlight=life+fred+pre-algebra+biology

Here is part of the email that he sent me:

In early April I finished the first draft of my 12th which is a college upper-division math book (Life of Fred: Linear Algebra). It was 13 months in the writing. It was a kind of experiment to see if Fred could be incorporated into a more theoretical setting which included such things as homomorphisms of vector spaces.

Then I've gotten "back to work" at the homeschooling level. The tentative title is Life of Fred: Pre-Algebra 1 and Biology. It should "write" a lot quicker than that upper-division LOF:LA book. I estimate that it will be ready by the end of summer. I don't tell the kids, but the math will be 80% review of LOF: Fractions and LOF: Decimals and Percents with the problems often coming from a biological context.

Then, tentatively, Life of Fred: Pre-Algebra 2: Economics, in which Fred will take arithmetic into the business world. And Life of Fred: Pre-Algebra 3: Physics.

Sounds great, but maybe too late for my son, we will see.