Menu

Grammar Question

Hi,

I have heard all of the positive things about CLE LA and really like what I see on their samples. However, I am not so sure I like how early they start their grammar. I want to start my dd6 out right from the start, but I don't want to push things on her that she is not ready for. My ds9 will be in 4th grade this fall, and I am contemplating using CLE LA 200 with him (he has had very little grammar before.). Any suggestions? I am ope to suggestions about using CLE, or other grammar programs that can be started around 3rd or 4th grade.

Thanks so much,

We did Simply Grammar, a gentle CM approach for grade 4, and decided to add rigor in grade 5 as she's entering the Logic stage, so we bought R&S English 5. There's so much review in grammar programs, that I really think it's okay to take it easy until around grade 5. Not to say that you don't teach grammar at all, but just take it easy. Don't expect mastery, and if you do get R&S for your kiddos, then do most of it orally, and skip some. There's no reason to do every single page. It was created for a schoolroom setting, so there is a lot of work in it. :001_smile:

Edited by specialmama
OOPS sorry I just re-read your post, you're talking CLE and I'm talking R&S! I'm figuring they're about the same?

We did Simply Grammar, a gentle CM approach for grade 4, and decided to add rigor in grade 5 as she's entering the Logic stage, so we bought R&S English 5. There's so much review in grammar programs, that I really think it's okay to take it easy until around grade 5. Not to say that you don't teach grammar at all, but just take it easy. Don't expect mastery, and if you do get R&S for your kiddos, then do most of it orally, and skip some. There's no reason to do every single page. It was created for a schoolroom setting, so there is a lot of work in it. :001_smile:

Thank you for your advice. Can I ask what you have done for Language Arts for like grades 1-3?

:001_smile:dd did ABeka for 1st as she was in a private Christian school, so they chose it, but I did like it. Had she not been in school, I probably would have just got that series from the library by Ruth Heller as an entertaining introduction, followed by memorizing the definitions throughout the year. Grade 2 we did Easy Grammar and Daily Grams. Only did about half of each book. I knew I wanted to get serious with grammar around grade 5, so the earlier grades were just dabbling here and there in some fun stuff, like the Simply Grammar. I figured the young years are great times to check out all that fun stuff that we always wanted to try, but perhaps isn't deemed rigorous enough for later grades. It worked for us, and now I have high hopes for R&S in grade 5 and beyond. I can see she's mentally ready to put it all together and really get down & dirty with grammar.

Well, that's what we did, anyhow. Just one of thousands of options :lol:... but that's part of the homeschooling fun, isn't it, the shopping around! :tongue_smilie: