Menu

Warriner's 7th grade after FLL4? Too big of a leap for a rising 6th grader?

Not liking a lot of grammar choices for sixth grade. So many people either love or hate the ones I'm exploring.

I want a program with diagramming, if possible. And R&S is not an option.

My dad gave me a 1951 copy of a Warriner's high school grammar book. Would the new Warriner's 7th grade book be doable for us?

I'm looking at GWG and JAG, too, but each of those has/lacks features that give me pause.

I just saw Sheldon's Advanced Grammar at Google Books -- haven't looked to see if it has diagramming, but I'm thinking I could "workbook-ize" it to make it easier to use. (All hail the plain text function at Google Books!) But that would take a long time to do, and given my graphic design background, I'd want it to be too pretty.

Help!

If R&S isn't an option, does that mean CLE isn't an option either? That's a great program that uses diagramming. If you are strictly looking secular, then I'd look at Hake, or maybe Voyages in English. Both use lots of diagramming.

R&S was a total flame-out for us in 3rd grade. We actually fell behind in grammar because of it (which is why we're only finishing FLL4 in 5th). I won't go back.

I thought I'd read here that Hake didn't include diagramming. Hmmm. I'll look again. Thanks for the list.

I'm still wondering about Warriner's, if anyone who's used it can chime in.