Menu

Geography based modern history: Does such a thing exist?

LBC

I'm thinking that I might like to organize my modern history study geographically, rather than chronologically, since it covers such a short period of time, and I don't feel like we've done a great job of geography over the years. Is there a resource out there that has been written in this way? I really want to incorporate SOTW 4, and the activity guide.

I'm envisioning going through one continent at a time, and working through the history that way, so that when we're doing Africa, we'll cover modern African history, and when we're doing North America, we'll cover modern NA history, etc.

Lori

I wasn't sure what age you were looking for, but Mater Amabilis does something like this for eighth grade.

http://www.materamabilis.org/level_4_history.html

It is broken down into:

United States

Britian

First World War

Second World War

Russia and the Fall of Communism

China

Middle East

South Africa

South East Asia (India, Korea, Vietnam and Afghanistan)

It uses Kingfisher History Encyclopedia and Century for Young People as the spines and has a schedule for these along with additional key resources for each section and a list of additional reading books for each section.

For additional geography work they read Endurance and Kon-Tiki. They also read one National Geographic article per week and find the location of the article on a map.