Menu

Math U See harder than Teaching Textbooks?

3Rivers

Hello. I just got my new TT packet in the mail today. Their level 5 looks awfully close to MUS Gamma (which would be their third year). This is fine for my DD, but for DS, who just completed MUS Beta, I could conceivably start him in this same level (5) now....which is fine except that my 3rd grader who does math easily and my 6th grader who struggles with math would be in the same book. :confused:

Anyone experienced with both of these programs? Any thoughts or suggestions in transitioning from MUS to TT?

I had TT 7 and it was a repeat of what he did in his paces for the 5th and 6th grades.

Because this was given to me, I couldn't really do anything about it, but if I were to ever use it again I would definitely take those placement tests and follow the placement exactly.

Dee

I read somewhere that they correspond to the year lower. In other words, my 4th grader (in school) got 5th grade for supplement/enrichment and it was the same stuff they were covering in 4th grade. So I would think of them as being one grade level below where they say.

Are there places to get the discs only? I found we really didn't use the workbooks. Thanks for any ideas.:001_smile:

My older two are using TT7 (dd12, currently 6th grade) and TT6 (ds10 currently 4th grade). I would agree they are numbered a grade lower, my ds was doing Saxon 5th grade and dd was doing saxon 6th grade before we moved here and gave our stuff back to the charter school. Both kids DESPISE saxon so I gave in and tried something new. Now, math is not a battle!! School is sooooo much better with TT!!

They have great sample lessons and placement tests on their website. I found the placement tests to be very accurate. If you aren't happy with the level you have I would recommend calling them and asking to exchange it. Their customer service was very helpful when I called them.

HTH. Good luck.

As I thought about it more, I realized that it doesn't matter so much that the year is "off" compared to other math curr. If the kids like it and I don't have to teach it, that works for me! I had given DD the placement exam but she missed a lot due to just knowing her math facts and not being in the mood to do a placement exam. :glare:

But now that I'm over the shock, I think I'll put my 3rd grader in TT5 and let DD(11) start somewhere in the middle to review, which would be good for her anyway, and then move her on up quickly.

I also think that although some of it is easier than MUS, it covers more material in one year.