Menu

Oh for Heaven's sake--how do you search for children's books, specifically, on Google

to some degree. Anyway, if you enter a book like Alice in Wonderland, the subject is "juvenile fiction." You can click on these subject words which are in blue, and a list of books in this category will come up. Then you just have to make sure to select "full view" to get a list of all the books that are offered in completion. I assume that if you went to the advanced search and entered juvenile fiction, you would get the same list.

You've probably figured this out for yourself :) but just thought I'd share. It was rather infuriating to decipher.

And the McGuffey readers! At least I have found the fourth and fifth readers so far. I am just going through the search results for "readers" still and haven't tried to search just for "McGuffey" yet. This is an invaluable resource! Thanks again to Myrtle for bringing it to my attention!

not sure why that didn't work. Search for Tanglewood Tales for Girls and Boys: Being a Second Wonder-book. This is by Hawthorne and will probably bring up several hits. Look for the first one that has "readers" as it's subject and click "readers." This is how I went to that subject instead of typing it in. Fickle beast, this Google books. :) Hope that helps...it gave over a thousand results for me.

I swear by WorldCat.org. If you go to their advanced search page (http://worldcat.org/advancedsearch), down towards the bottom you can limit your search by Audience to Juvenile or non-Juvenile. Once you find a book, you can see what libraries near you have a copy. They have great list management tools as well.

If you are using Google Books, you may have some success when you combine the word juvenile with whatever topic you are searching. Sometimes though, as you found out, you find items that just mention juvenile instead of juvenile books. That's because Google Books does a search of the full text of the book when the entire text is available. Google Books is great when you just need to look at a little bit of a book and don't want to purchase or borrow, but for reading, I really like to hold it in my hand.

LibrarianMom