Menu

Best Algebra curriculum-throw it at me-tell me why it's best.

Catherine

Catherine,

I am going to use Singapore. The way I see it Singapore teaches the why of the formula, then to make sure the child understands why they require the child apply it to a different situation, vs. just practicing the formula with a new set of numbers. I also like that it is an integrated program, covering geometry at the same time as algebra.

That said their main program New Elementary Math has me a bit intimidated, one because there are new solutions manuals for the last two levels and two because I am not sure my dd is up to that much challenge. I think we will use the Discovering Math series instead. It has more basic problems before moving into the challenging thing out side of the box type, of which it only has a few. The author also created full solution manuals for the whole program.

If I wasn't considering Singapore I would probably look at Dolciani or Foerster, just because they cover more proofs and have a rep on these boards for being good programs.

Though if you are looking for something with really good explanations, I think Lial's has the best reputation there. The series is written for non-math people. :)

Heather

I'm a diehard fan of Math Relief. I think some people are just plain gifted in some particular area, and Mr. Firebaugh's area is teaching algebra. I call him the "Mr. Rogers of Algebra." Very simple but impossible to misunderstand. He has videos and then the worksheets have the problems already written out, so student can get straight to work.