Menu

HSer's in Georgia

I need help. I'm planning for High School, dd13 currently in 7th, and I'm curious to know what homeschooling high school is like here in Ga.

My dd's interests include her 4th year of trumpet(Joyful Noise North East{soon to be Grace Notes}), her 3rd year with Marching Band(Georgia Force) and her 1st year in chorus(JNNE{GN} and the church chorus). We've been hsing since 4th grade.

I'm unsure of the laws involving homeschoolers getting involved in Marching Band and the like in the local public high school, and I'm also interested in her attending community college while finishing high school as, at the moment, we plan to homeschool through high school.

Any help, advice and insights would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance and God Bless,

Ava

I haven't been there done that yet, my girls are in middle and elementary school, but I try to keep abreast. See HSLDA's site here http://www.hslda.org/hs/state/ga/200901290.asp for information on Georgia's dual enrollment policy. They've gone back and forth about requiring that students be enrolled in an accredited school to qualify for dual enrollment, but it looks like they corrected that last month.

Also my dh teaches public high school here and is hearing that GA will be considering allowing participation rights in sports, clubs, and other extra-curric. activities to homeschoolers as early as the 09-10 school year. Still heresay at this point though.

Locally our private Christian schools are good to homeschoolers also. For relatively small fees they allow h/s students to participate in art classes, music, chorus, and PE. Auditions or try-outs are sometimes required depending on the activity. I don't think they can actually play a team sport and understand that this is likely due to athletic district restrictions.