Menu

Math facts app that is customizable?

Jennifer132

My dd is in CLE 1. I would like to get an app that will help her with the math facts associated with each lesson. Just flashing cards at her is not working. Is there an app where I can input which facts she needs drilled on? Or even just a math facts app that you particularly recommend? Thanks!

I wouldn't worry about a first grader not having it memorized. That's pretty normal. It's okay if she has to use her fingers or blocks every day. My kids all picked it up from repeated practice. We didn't really need fact drilling until times tables.

To actually answer your question: The Card Droid app (or something like that) lets you customize the problem set. XtraMath (website, not app) doesn't, but it remembers what the child knows and doesn't know and gently moves them forward. www.math-drills.com has worksheets you can print out for drills.

I wouldn't worry about a first grader not having it memorized. That's pretty normal. It's okay if she has to use her fingers or blocks every day. My kids all picked it up from repeated practice. We didn't really need fact drilling until times tables.

To actually answer your question: The Card Droid app (or something like that) lets you customize the problem set. XtraMath (website, not app) doesn't, but it remembers what the child knows and doesn't know and gently moves them forward. www.math-drills.com has worksheets you can print out for drills.

Xtra Math also has a free app. It's excellent. You can't select certain facts, but you can select which type of facts to cover (subtraction/multiplication/etc). You can also select time allowed. The app moves a child quickly through earlier facts until it hits facts they have trouble with. It then slows down and drills. I've found it effective and mostly painless.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

We use the Math Cards app by Horizon Business. It's a cheap-looking thumbnail in the app store, but it works great. There's a free version but I upgraded to the paid one for some reason that I can't remember. Either to get rid of ads, or maybe to have more features? It's been a while, so I'm not sure. I love it for CLE math because you can customize it pretty easily. For instance, you can choose just addition with just 7's + another addend. I think the paid version is just a couple of bucks.