Menu

Formal/Essay writing similar to Fishman's Creative Writer?

dori123

Having a hard time here. 

We have tried many so different writing programs, and nothing seems *right*. 

My main issue is that these programs break writing down into such small chunks that my kids (who love to write) don't get enough actual writing each day.

We are not really interested in brainstorming, outlining, filling out graphic organizers, dictation, etc. etc. etc. All these activities are great, but they really distract us from actually writing. (BTW, it's not to say that we don't employ these tools, but we already have enough resources that encourage them.)

I do love the meatier portions of Fishman's Creative Writer (we are only in Level 1), where he identifies one element and instructs students to practice that element by writing 500 words.

I am looking for something similar, but for essay / formal writing; something that requires a lot of writing... perhaps 500 words or more per assignment, then revisions after that. I am looking for something that requires students to write from within, ie communicate their own thoughts and opinions rather than summarize someone else's. 

I have started to wonder if perhaps I need to advance our programs (we are in 6th and 7th), but I see the same things in the higher-grade programs. 

Is it me? Am I just not "getting it?" 

I have found Brave Writer online classes to be fabulous to fill that need for my family. They are expensive, but so worth it.

While you can do the high school classes younger, I find it takes some maturity to do what seems like a simple assignment from them. There are a broad range of ages and abilities in the classes and the teachers do fabulous at meeting each student where they are and progressing them.

Are you looking for a full curriculum or would you be able/interested in creating your own assignments based on a methodology?

If you prefer to write the entire piece and then edit and are finding it tedious or unnecessary to create an outline and then fill it in, perhaps you and your children are more whole-to-parts rather than parts-to-whole learners/writers. That is simply a different way of thinking and it is just as good or valid as the parts to whole. While I am not familiar with any whole to parts writing curricula, I can recommend a great how-to (methodology) book written by a school teacher. It is called "Write Like This: Teaching Real World Writing Through Mentoring and Mentor Texts" by Kelly Gallagher (ISBN 1571108963). You can see a preview of the book on Amazon, and used copies are available at a reasonable price. I also have and really like "Teaching Adolescent Writers" by the same author (ISBN 1571104224).

For a more advanced level, there is "They Say, I Say", (ISBN 0393935841). This is a freshman level college textbook. The sample readings may not be appropriate for your children at this stage, but the methodology described is excellent and prepares students to write academic papers, particularly of the persuasive nature. Used copies of older editions are cheap and just as good as the new edition.

These may be worth reading for you (perhaps request through your library?) and could make it easier to create your own assignments based on your other studies, such as history or science.

• Like 2

Thanks for the comments. I will follow up on all of these. 

I had been looking into Brave Writer classes but was disappointed in the reviews. I'm thinking I might enroll them in a different online writing course in March. I will revisit the BW classes in the meantime; I know their sessions get full fast.

It is helpful to know what to call the different methodologies, and sounds like we are definitely whole-to-parts people. Every time I ask my kids to "pre-write," they are done in 60 seconds and consider it a collossal waste of time. I don't entirely agree that it's a waste, but it really does slow them down, which seems like the wrong thing. 

Any one else have any whole-to-parts approaches for middle school writing? : )

I had been looking into Brave Writer classes but was disappointed in the reviews

Just curious, I think you're the first person I've seen say that they were disappointed in the reviews. I'm sure they are out there, but I've only seen positive reviews for BW. Are you seeing poor reviews or are the reviews just describing something that is not what you are looking for.

I know BW is not for everyone. The biggest "complaint" I see is the price.

Sorry, I wasn't clear earlier. 

Likely more "not for us" in terms of BW. 

I have The Writer's Jungle and didn't find it helpful at all. I felt it was quite vague and fluffy; more about inspiring students to write and helping them create healthy writing habits. The reviews I found for the classes indicated that the comments were more cheerleader-like as opposed to critical (in a positive way, of course). 

I think BW is a fantastic course and is probably right for many students, and I often circle back to it thinking maybe I should try it anyway.

But my kids already love to write. I think my problem is a more practical one, ie how to help them grow from good writers to excellent writers. 

I find Boris Fishman's books brilliant in this way: very practical, fantastic assignments that have a focused purpose. 

RosemaryAndThyme's suggestion about Kelly Gallagher's books is really interesting. I am sampling them and am impressed; just wish I could find a ready-made program that employs this methodology. 

Just write. Teach grammar. Teach forms. Have them write.

You don't need a curriculum to practice writing if kids already know how to write.

Actually I'd read Stephen King's book on writing as a read aloud if my kids were avid and natural writers and hop-to.

A copy of Jenson's Format Writing on hand for school and end scene.

Haha, I always come to this forum for advice, but walk away cursing the sheer number of items I will then go off and research / buy. 

Thanks for the suggestions. I found a copy of Gallagher's "Write Like This" that is my bedtime reading. I really like this style. Will check out Jensen's also. 'Night, all!