Menu

How often do you give up on a certain day?

We’ve never just given up on an entire day, but we’ve had a few that were an absolute struggle for all involved where we had to drop a subject or two.  I’m a planner and have months scheduled out in advance, but I keep Fridays free of specific lesson plans.  We usually use it to play math games, go on field trips, or complete interest based projects.  We still get up to do school like usual, but it is more informal.  So when we’ve had a difficult day when we didn’t get through everything, we use Friday to catch up.  Or if DH has a random weekday off of work and we decide to go hiking or something, I can just make up that entire day on Friday and we don’t miss out on any of the lessons that I had planned.  “Friday Funday†is also incentive for the kids.  They want to get through all of their work Monday-Thursday so that they can enjoy free writing and playing with pattern blocks on Friday.  For as much planning as I do, I also include as much flexibility as I can stand.

I had PPD after my oldest was born, and I can’t imagine adding other kids and homeschooling to the mix!  Don’t feel guilty if you need to take time for yourself or decrease the kids’ school load for a while.  With an 8 year old and 6 year old you can ditch science and history for now and just focus on reading and math until you are at least getting a full night’s sleep regularly.  Add in some good science and history read alouds or videos (Planet Earth is perfect!) when you have time.

On days that just aren’t going smoothly, I may give the kids an extended break before they (and I) reach my breaking point.  I send them outside to run around with the dogs to let out some energy (and give me a little break) or we drop everything for an impromptu dance party.  I can TOTALLY understand you needing a break.  There are times when I need to compose myself to remain a good teacher (or parent in general).  I even tell my kids I need a time out.  If you need a break, take a break.  Maybe have your 8 year old read aloud to the younger kids or have some coloring pages that are related to science/history that they can work on to give you a quick breather.

If your older kids are mature enough, teach them how to prepare breakfast and get read for the day themselves.  Honestly, my kids get up an hour to two hours before my alarm goes off and they are usually dressed and eating breakfast when I begrudgingly drag myself out of bed.  They can get their own cereal, oatmeal, and toast without any help (ages 10, 8, & 7, but they’ve been doing this on their own for over a year).  To make lunches easier, I usually prepare a huge meal in the crock-pot on Monday, and we live off of those leftovers until we run out.  Little things like that help to ease some of the stress that can pop up throughout the day and give you some time relax. 

• Like 1

To OP and anyone else needing to rescue a "bad day": 

I love this post, have bookmarked it, and return to it when things are sort of "rock bottom" and I need to get back on track:

http://www.likemotherlikedaughter.org/2012/10/10-survival-tactics-for-rescuing-bad-day/

[10 Survival Tactics for Rescuing a Bad Day] on Like Mother Like Daughter

I know the original question was related more to homeschooling, but there are some good points in the blog post above for anyone.  Even more grace is needed with a baby in the mix.  

Some of the responses have been a little bit harsh, I think.  Calizzy, you are attempting to resolve issues, so it's clear you are trying to work on making your schooling better...I hope you give yourself a bit of breathing room as you begin to implement many of the good responses.

If you are a recovering perfectionist like I am, try not to see entire days as either bad or good.  Most days contain a bit of both and getting too extreme about declaring a day "bad" or "good"...throwing in the towel...that sort of thing does you no favors.  I know from experience that extreme thinking can be part of depression...

Hopefully you can hear a calmer voice that says it's OK to take various small 10-minute breaks throughout the day and then get back to the work at hand.  Love the advice about the 3 R's.  

Edited by vonbon
  • Like 1

I'm astonished that folk say they've never or hardly ever given up on a day! Maybe my definition of "giving up" is different to everyone else's? Or maybe other folk never had kids like mine ;)

For me, when days go really bottoms up, it's a big neon sign that something is wrong. It could be that we need a break or that I need to step back and reassess (my self-care/the curriculum/our external commitments etc) Sure, if I'm just being a bit lazy or feeling sorry for myself, then I need to put my big girl pants on, but to me it's counterproductive to grit my teeth and drag the kids through a bad day if underlying issues remain unresolved. Learning is lifelong, it shouldn't have to be an endurance test, ðŸ˜

• Like 1