Menu

Does anyone know how to find out which credit score a particular lender uses?

Jenny in Florida

We're moving towards applying for a loan for a (used) car.  I've been working really hard for the last year or so to get us on track, but we're still in financial/credit recovery mode.Obviously, it would be best to wait another year or so and get on a more solid footing, but for a variety of reasons, we've decided to try and move forward.

I've been watching our reports and scores on Credit Karma, which provides (or at least approximates) the Vantage scores based on information from TransUnion and EquiFax. Today, I signed up for the free scorecard from Discover, which gives the FICO 8 based on Experian. I understand that the scores are calculated using different approaches. In our case, the scores are different by about 30 points.  

My husband plans to head into our credit union this week to discuss options, and I'd very much like for him to have the best possible sense of what to expect. 

I've been noodling around on Google, trying a bunch of different searches, but haven't found anything definitive. I tried perusing the website of our credit union and found several references to FICO scores in the descriptions of their educational programs, but nothing that actually says that's the score they rely on.

Does anyone have any other suggestions?